Feb 1, 2012, 9:08 AM EST
Semyon Varlamov is finding out that playing for the Avalanche is a lot different than playing for the Capitals. Of course, part of his job is to help make the Avalanche a much better team by stopping more pucks.
After losing in disappointing fashion to the lowly Edmonton Oilers last night, The Denver Post’s Adrian Dater decided that Varlamov’s disappointing performance very well might make him the No. 2 goalie in Colorado.
Varlamov had a chance to reclaim the No. 1 job tonight, but he blew it, plain and simple. I would say it’s less than 50-50 he’ll get another real chance the rest of the season now, unless J.S. Giguere gets hurt. That’s how big this game was for him tonight, I believe. This was a “prove it to me you can still be the guy for us” game, and he failed. The Oilers had about five good scoring chances in this game, and they scored on three of them. Meanwhile, the Avs made Devan Dubynk look like Glenn Hall again.
In case you forgot, the Avalanche gave up a first-round pick in 2012 and a second-round pick in 2012 or 2013 to Washington to get Varlamov. Meanwhile, Varlamov’s save percentage is below .900 and his goals against average is right at 3.00.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 13
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 76
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 4
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)