Feb 1, 2012, 9:08 AM EDT
Semyon Varlamov is finding out that playing for the Avalanche is a lot different than playing for the Capitals. Of course, part of his job is to help make the Avalanche a much better team by stopping more pucks.
After losing in disappointing fashion to the lowly Edmonton Oilers last night, The Denver Post’s Adrian Dater decided that Varlamov’s disappointing performance very well might make him the No. 2 goalie in Colorado.
Varlamov had a chance to reclaim the No. 1 job tonight, but he blew it, plain and simple. I would say it’s less than 50-50 he’ll get another real chance the rest of the season now, unless J.S. Giguere gets hurt. That’s how big this game was for him tonight, I believe. This was a “prove it to me you can still be the guy for us” game, and he failed. The Oilers had about five good scoring chances in this game, and they scored on three of them. Meanwhile, the Avs made Devan Dubynk look like Glenn Hall again.
In case you forgot, the Avalanche gave up a first-round pick in 2012 and a second-round pick in 2012 or 2013 to Washington to get Varlamov. Meanwhile, Varlamov’s save percentage is below .900 and his goals against average is right at 3.00.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 6
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)