Feb 1, 2012, 9:08 AM EDT
Semyon Varlamov is finding out that playing for the Avalanche is a lot different than playing for the Capitals. Of course, part of his job is to help make the Avalanche a much better team by stopping more pucks.
After losing in disappointing fashion to the lowly Edmonton Oilers last night, The Denver Post’s Adrian Dater decided that Varlamov’s disappointing performance very well might make him the No. 2 goalie in Colorado.
Varlamov had a chance to reclaim the No. 1 job tonight, but he blew it, plain and simple. I would say it’s less than 50-50 he’ll get another real chance the rest of the season now, unless J.S. Giguere gets hurt. That’s how big this game was for him tonight, I believe. This was a “prove it to me you can still be the guy for us” game, and he failed. The Oilers had about five good scoring chances in this game, and they scored on three of them. Meanwhile, the Avs made Devan Dubynk look like Glenn Hall again.
In case you forgot, the Avalanche gave up a first-round pick in 2012 and a second-round pick in 2012 or 2013 to Washington to get Varlamov. Meanwhile, Varlamov’s save percentage is below .900 and his goals against average is right at 3.00.
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 15
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 11
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 25
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 20
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 18
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 20
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 71
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 101
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 20
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 33
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (102)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement