Feb 1, 2012, 9:08 AM EDT
Semyon Varlamov is finding out that playing for the Avalanche is a lot different than playing for the Capitals. Of course, part of his job is to help make the Avalanche a much better team by stopping more pucks.
After losing in disappointing fashion to the lowly Edmonton Oilers last night, The Denver Post’s Adrian Dater decided that Varlamov’s disappointing performance very well might make him the No. 2 goalie in Colorado.
Varlamov had a chance to reclaim the No. 1 job tonight, but he blew it, plain and simple. I would say it’s less than 50-50 he’ll get another real chance the rest of the season now, unless J.S. Giguere gets hurt. That’s how big this game was for him tonight, I believe. This was a “prove it to me you can still be the guy for us” game, and he failed. The Oilers had about five good scoring chances in this game, and they scored on three of them. Meanwhile, the Avs made Devan Dubynk look like Glenn Hall again.
In case you forgot, the Avalanche gave up a first-round pick in 2012 and a second-round pick in 2012 or 2013 to Washington to get Varlamov. Meanwhile, Varlamov’s save percentage is below .900 and his goals against average is right at 3.00.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 21
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 5
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 9
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 14
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)