Feb 1, 2012, 1:33 AM EDT
For the second game in a row, the Vancouver Canucks decided to start Cory Schneider instead of Roberto Luongo in a high-profile match. Much like that Jan. 7 contest against the Boston Bruins, that overblown decision paid off as the high-profile backup nabbed a 3-2 overtime win against the Chicago Blackhawks.
If the victory wasn’t a good enough argument for Alain Vigneault’s decision, this save says it all:
Ultimately it came down to a fantastic performance by Schneider (37 out of 39 made) and this great overtime goal by the Sedin twins:
(Interesting note: that tally makes Daniel Sedin the team’s all-time leader in OT goals.)
As far as the Blackhawks went, pot-stirrer Dave Bolland had a rough night with a -1 rating, zero points, and went 6-14 in the faceoff circle. Jonathan Toews (one assist, -1, five shots) and Patrick Sharp (zero points, even rating, three shots) seemed solid enough in their returns from injury as they played about 19:10 each.
Sure, it’s just two points for the Canucks and one charity point for the Blackhawks, but nights as excited as these have a nice way of breaking the monotony of an 82-game season. Did you take anything else away from that contest, though?
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 12
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 16
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 77
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 17
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (77)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)