Feb 1, 2012, 1:33 AM EST
For the second game in a row, the Vancouver Canucks decided to start Cory Schneider instead of Roberto Luongo in a high-profile match. Much like that Jan. 7 contest against the Boston Bruins, that overblown decision paid off as the high-profile backup nabbed a 3-2 overtime win against the Chicago Blackhawks.
If the victory wasn’t a good enough argument for Alain Vigneault’s decision, this save says it all:
Ultimately it came down to a fantastic performance by Schneider (37 out of 39 made) and this great overtime goal by the Sedin twins:
(Interesting note: that tally makes Daniel Sedin the team’s all-time leader in OT goals.)
As far as the Blackhawks went, pot-stirrer Dave Bolland had a rough night with a -1 rating, zero points, and went 6-14 in the faceoff circle. Jonathan Toews (one assist, -1, five shots) and Patrick Sharp (zero points, even rating, three shots) seemed solid enough in their returns from injury as they played about 19:10 each.
Sure, it’s just two points for the Canucks and one charity point for the Blackhawks, but nights as excited as these have a nice way of breaking the monotony of an 82-game season. Did you take anything else away from that contest, though?
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)