Feb 1, 2012, 10:48 PM EST
On a night when the Penguins-Maple Leafs and Rangers-Sabres games produced one regulation goal combined,* Michal Neuvirth‘s rough goal stands out that much more. Much like Dennis Seidenberg, Mikael Samuelsson gets to pad his stats with this long-distance tally:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The Florida Panthers went on to beat the Washington Capitals 4-2 in a fairly important game, as this places the banged-up Rats one point ahead of wounded Washington for the Southeast Division lead. The regulation loss hurts the Caps even more because they’ve been knocked out of the East’s top eight for the time being.
Obviously that goal doesn’t tell the whole story – Neuvirth helped Washington stay in the game by making 34 out of 37 saves – but it did stake Florida to a valuable 1-0 lead. It also might be the kind of clip that people lean on if the Panthers win the division and the Capitals find themselves out of the playoffs altogether once April rolls around …
* – More on those games later, but Toronto got revenge on Pittsburgh with a 1-0 win while Henrik Lundqvist‘s shutout was better than Ryan Miller‘s as New York earned a 1-0 shootout win against Buffalo.
Check out the full highlights below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 24
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 60
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)