Feb 1, 2012, 10:48 PM EDT
On a night when the Penguins-Maple Leafs and Rangers-Sabres games produced one regulation goal combined,* Michal Neuvirth‘s rough goal stands out that much more. Much like Dennis Seidenberg, Mikael Samuelsson gets to pad his stats with this long-distance tally:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The Florida Panthers went on to beat the Washington Capitals 4-2 in a fairly important game, as this places the banged-up Rats one point ahead of wounded Washington for the Southeast Division lead. The regulation loss hurts the Caps even more because they’ve been knocked out of the East’s top eight for the time being.
Obviously that goal doesn’t tell the whole story – Neuvirth helped Washington stay in the game by making 34 out of 37 saves – but it did stake Florida to a valuable 1-0 lead. It also might be the kind of clip that people lean on if the Panthers win the division and the Capitals find themselves out of the playoffs altogether once April rolls around …
* – More on those games later, but Toronto got revenge on Pittsburgh with a 1-0 win while Henrik Lundqvist‘s shutout was better than Ryan Miller‘s as New York earned a 1-0 shootout win against Buffalo.
Check out the full highlights below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 25
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 26
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 40
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 53
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)