Feb 1, 2012, 2:31 PM EST
The Toronto radio host who broke the news about Sidney Crosby’s neck injury is standing by his story that the Penguins’ captain had an abnormality in his C1 and C2 vertebrae. Pittsburgh has since said Crosby suffered “a soft-tissue injury of the neck” with “no evidence of a past or present neck fracture.”
“I never reported it as a fracture to the C1 and C2,” Bob McCown told The Globe and Mail today. “I deliberately said it was an injury to the C1 and C2. But [Crosby's agent] Pat Brisson confirmed it as a fracture. So did Alex Guerrero and Dr. [Robert] Bray who both saw the fractures in the MRIs.
“Just because the Penguins now say there was no fracture, why should we believe them? Why are they the most credible source? They’ve had this file in front of them for months, and the story keeps changing. Are they saying Guerrero and Dr. Bray, who’ve worked with many top athletes and teams in the past, aren’t accurate?
“Look, I’d be okay if someone could prove it one way or the other. But this idea that the Penguins and their doctors are the final word on this doesn’t stand up after all that’s happened in the past on this file.”
Yesterday Pittsburgh GM Ray Shero wouldn’t say whether or not Bray officially diagnosed Crosby with a neck fracture, only that there was something Bray saw in examining Crosby that he wanted to get a second opinion on. The Penguins subsequently consulted with Dr. Alexander Vaccaro in Philadelphia, after which, Shero says, all the doctors had a conference call and concluded there was no evidence of a neck fracture.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)