Feb 1, 2012, 12:28 PM EDT
In 13 games, Tavares scored nine goals and added 13 assists in helping the Islanders climb out of the Eastern Conference basement. Perhaps the biggest compliment for Tavares comes from who he beat out to take the first star.
Pittsburgh’s Evgeni Malkin was the league’s second star and after the highlight reel stuff he’s provided this season, his January was just as impressive putting up 12 goals including three game-winners. His 16 points in the month helped lead the Penguins to a nine-game win streak that continues to roll on into February.
Nashville’s Pekka Rinne was no slouch either as the NHL’s third star. Rinne has helped the Predators storm towards the Western Conference lead by going on a 10-game win streak and winning 11 out of 12 starts in January. Rinne held opponents to two goals or less in nine straight games during the month and hasn’t slowed down.
While Malkin’s month may have been flashier and Rinne’s was Atlas-like in holding up the Predators, Tavares’ work on Long Island isn’t going unnoticed by the league.
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 12
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 23
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 0
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 55
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 54
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)