Feb 1, 2012, 12:28 PM EST
In 13 games, Tavares scored nine goals and added 13 assists in helping the Islanders climb out of the Eastern Conference basement. Perhaps the biggest compliment for Tavares comes from who he beat out to take the first star.
Pittsburgh’s Evgeni Malkin was the league’s second star and after the highlight reel stuff he’s provided this season, his January was just as impressive putting up 12 goals including three game-winners. His 16 points in the month helped lead the Penguins to a nine-game win streak that continues to roll on into February.
Nashville’s Pekka Rinne was no slouch either as the NHL’s third star. Rinne has helped the Predators storm towards the Western Conference lead by going on a 10-game win streak and winning 11 out of 12 starts in January. Rinne held opponents to two goals or less in nine straight games during the month and hasn’t slowed down.
While Malkin’s month may have been flashier and Rinne’s was Atlas-like in holding up the Predators, Tavares’ work on Long Island isn’t going unnoticed by the league.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 19
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)