Feb 1, 2012, 12:28 PM EDT
In 13 games, Tavares scored nine goals and added 13 assists in helping the Islanders climb out of the Eastern Conference basement. Perhaps the biggest compliment for Tavares comes from who he beat out to take the first star.
Pittsburgh’s Evgeni Malkin was the league’s second star and after the highlight reel stuff he’s provided this season, his January was just as impressive putting up 12 goals including three game-winners. His 16 points in the month helped lead the Penguins to a nine-game win streak that continues to roll on into February.
Nashville’s Pekka Rinne was no slouch either as the NHL’s third star. Rinne has helped the Predators storm towards the Western Conference lead by going on a 10-game win streak and winning 11 out of 12 starts in January. Rinne held opponents to two goals or less in nine straight games during the month and hasn’t slowed down.
While Malkin’s month may have been flashier and Rinne’s was Atlas-like in holding up the Predators, Tavares’ work on Long Island isn’t going unnoticed by the league.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 1
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 17
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 16
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)