Feb 1, 2012, 9:42 AM EDT
Have your heartstrings been pulled yet today? They’re about to.
Blues forward David Backes loves animals. He also loves flying planes. Mixing these two passions together turns into a story that would melt even the iciest of cold hearts as Backes and his wife Kelly flew from St. Louis to Houston to pick up three stray dogs. When asked if he ever thought he’d be flying dogs in a plane, Backes told Fox 2 in St. Louis the straight word.
“I did not,” said with a smile, “but (it’s) pretty rewarding to see how happy these guys are to be here, and probably happy just to be out of that plane.”
Backes and his wife did this to get the dogs to the no-kill shelter she works for near St. Louis. We can already hear the swooning across the hockey world for what a cool thing this was for Backes to do in his spare time. Backes not getting named to the All-Star Game in this case paid off nicely for three fortunate dogs.
Now if Backes can get the Blues deep into the playoffs and perhaps with the Blues’ first Stanley Cup, he could be the mayor of St. Louis for life.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)