Feb 1, 2012, 9:42 AM EDT
Have your heartstrings been pulled yet today? They’re about to.
Blues forward David Backes loves animals. He also loves flying planes. Mixing these two passions together turns into a story that would melt even the iciest of cold hearts as Backes and his wife Kelly flew from St. Louis to Houston to pick up three stray dogs. When asked if he ever thought he’d be flying dogs in a plane, Backes told Fox 2 in St. Louis the straight word.
“I did not,” said with a smile, “but (it’s) pretty rewarding to see how happy these guys are to be here, and probably happy just to be out of that plane.”
Backes and his wife did this to get the dogs to the no-kill shelter she works for near St. Louis. We can already hear the swooning across the hockey world for what a cool thing this was for Backes to do in his spare time. Backes not getting named to the All-Star Game in this case paid off nicely for three fortunate dogs.
Now if Backes can get the Blues deep into the playoffs and perhaps with the Blues’ first Stanley Cup, he could be the mayor of St. Louis for life.
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)