Feb 1, 2012, 9:42 AM EDT
Have your heartstrings been pulled yet today? They’re about to.
Blues forward David Backes loves animals. He also loves flying planes. Mixing these two passions together turns into a story that would melt even the iciest of cold hearts as Backes and his wife Kelly flew from St. Louis to Houston to pick up three stray dogs. When asked if he ever thought he’d be flying dogs in a plane, Backes told Fox 2 in St. Louis the straight word.
“I did not,” said with a smile, “but (it’s) pretty rewarding to see how happy these guys are to be here, and probably happy just to be out of that plane.”
Backes and his wife did this to get the dogs to the no-kill shelter she works for near St. Louis. We can already hear the swooning across the hockey world for what a cool thing this was for Backes to do in his spare time. Backes not getting named to the All-Star Game in this case paid off nicely for three fortunate dogs.
Now if Backes can get the Blues deep into the playoffs and perhaps with the Blues’ first Stanley Cup, he could be the mayor of St. Louis for life.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 12
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 17
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 15
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 92
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5