Feb 1, 2012, 9:42 AM EDT
Have your heartstrings been pulled yet today? They’re about to.
Blues forward David Backes loves animals. He also loves flying planes. Mixing these two passions together turns into a story that would melt even the iciest of cold hearts as Backes and his wife Kelly flew from St. Louis to Houston to pick up three stray dogs. When asked if he ever thought he’d be flying dogs in a plane, Backes told Fox 2 in St. Louis the straight word.
“I did not,” said with a smile, “but (it’s) pretty rewarding to see how happy these guys are to be here, and probably happy just to be out of that plane.”
Backes and his wife did this to get the dogs to the no-kill shelter she works for near St. Louis. We can already hear the swooning across the hockey world for what a cool thing this was for Backes to do in his spare time. Backes not getting named to the All-Star Game in this case paid off nicely for three fortunate dogs.
Now if Backes can get the Blues deep into the playoffs and perhaps with the Blues’ first Stanley Cup, he could be the mayor of St. Louis for life.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)