Feb 1, 2012, 11:58 AM EST
The Ducks have been on fire of late. They’re 9-1-1 in their last 11 games and are now just ten points back of eighth place Minnesota in the Western Conference playoff race. With a turnaround like that it’s easy to see why Ducks fans would get excited.
Jeff Miller of the Orange County Register would like to put things in perspective though. Miller says the Ducks chances of making the playoffs are about as good as Ron Paul’s of being elected President.
So, as they open a four-game homestand Wednesday night against Dallas, let’s examine what remains exactly, attempting to forecast just how long of a shot these final nine weeks of regular season represent.
Spoiler alert: Ron Paul is facing kinder odds.
The Ducks have 33 games remaining, 15 at home and 18 on the road, 16 against teams that right now would be out of the playoffs and 17 against postseason qualifiers.
The hole the Ducks got into to start the year is what’s got them so far back now and while they’ve got things rolling with Bruce Boudreau at the helm, as the Devils showed last season, getting to the postseason is a lot harder when you have to climb out of a canyon.
Now we’re left wondering: If the Ducks are the Ron Paul of the Western Conference playoffs, who is Mitt Romney? Detroit or Vancouver? What about Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum? Let’s just quit while we’re ahead, this might get ugly.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 38
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 15
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 81
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)