Feb 1, 2012, 11:53 AM EDT
According to Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch, “multiple sources” confirmed the Blue Jackets have put center Jeff Carter on the trading block. That might come as a surprise to some — Carter was acquired just seven months ago, after all — but one guy remains unsurprised by this latest development:
“There’s talk about a lot of guys right now,” Carter told The Dispatch. “Our team, with the way the season has gone — the injuries, the standings, and stuff — I don’t think it should come as a surprise to anybody on our team if they end up [in rumors].”
Carter’s appeared in just 30 of Columbus’ 50 games due to a myriad of injuries and hasn’t played since Jan. 8 because of a shoulder issue. When he has been in the lineup, he’s appeared disinterested (10G-7A-17PTS, minus-9) — though that shouldn’t come as a surprise given his reaction upon being traded to Columbus in the first place.
While Carter insists he hasn’t asked for a trade out of Ohio — “I’m here to play hockey,” he told Portzline — Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson did acknowledge he met recently with Carter’s agent, Rick Curren.
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 43
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 34
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 65
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 10
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22