Feb 1, 2012, 5:22 PM EDT
Boll received a two-minute minor penalty for an illegal check to the head, a hit that left Sharks coach Todd McLellan with mixed feelings.
“It created a lot of emotion in the game,” McLellan told CSN Bay Area. “As a coach, you’re always worried about whether the guys will be sleepy and what will trigger the game. Then,  seconds in, the guys are on their toes already and ready to play. That was a good thing for us.
“It’s not great that Jumbo got an elbow to the head, but it did wake our group up and we played after that.”
Interesting to note that Boll only received a fine for the elbow, as he could’ve been deemed a repeat offender. He was suspended one game in 2008 for instigating a fight in the final minutes of a win over Colorado, though it’s possible the statute of limitations came into effect (hey, it was four years ago.)
As per usual, Boll’s $2,500 will go to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 38
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)