Feb 1, 2012, 12:45 PM EDT
Just wondering, is anyone actually surprised that Paul Gaustad chirped Max Pacioretty last night about getting run into the stanchion by Zdeno Chara? We only ask because surely there have been worse things said during a hockey game. The only difference is they’re not shared with the media.
One guy that thinks this whole thing is absurd is Buffalo coach Lindy Ruff.
“I could give you one situation every night [where there is trash-talking],” Ruff said today, as per BuffaloNews.com. “For [the Canadiens] to go public that I thought was ridiculous on their part. They were looking for something to talk about or feel good about after that game and they’re barking up the wrong tree if you ask me.”
Gaustad concurred: “Trash talking is a part of the game. It gets guys off their game. You just have to be careful of not letting guys get under your skin. It’s a passionate game. They played hard, we played hard. I thought it was a fun game last night.”
Maybe that’s being insensitive to Pacioretty, who suffered a broken neck as a result of the Chara hit. Maybe Gaustad wouldn’t have been so willing to say what he did if he’d been through that ordeal, which must’ve been awful. But come on, it’s hockey.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Without Shea Weber, Predators can’t contain Hawks in Game 3 8
- Video: Tavares, Islanders take 2-1 series lead with OT win 19
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 5
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 13
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 84
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 70
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 167
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (167)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (84)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)