Feb 1, 2012, 12:45 PM EDT
Just wondering, is anyone actually surprised that Paul Gaustad chirped Max Pacioretty last night about getting run into the stanchion by Zdeno Chara? We only ask because surely there have been worse things said during a hockey game. The only difference is they’re not shared with the media.
One guy that thinks this whole thing is absurd is Buffalo coach Lindy Ruff.
“I could give you one situation every night [where there is trash-talking],” Ruff said today, as per BuffaloNews.com. “For [the Canadiens] to go public that I thought was ridiculous on their part. They were looking for something to talk about or feel good about after that game and they’re barking up the wrong tree if you ask me.”
Gaustad concurred: “Trash talking is a part of the game. It gets guys off their game. You just have to be careful of not letting guys get under your skin. It’s a passionate game. They played hard, we played hard. I thought it was a fun game last night.”
Maybe that’s being insensitive to Pacioretty, who suffered a broken neck as a result of the Chara hit. Maybe Gaustad wouldn’t have been so willing to say what he did if he’d been through that ordeal, which must’ve been awful. But come on, it’s hockey.
- Once again, Carlyle’s Leafs are searching for answers 0
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 1
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 9
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 33
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)