Feb 1, 2012, 12:45 PM EDT
Just wondering, is anyone actually surprised that Paul Gaustad chirped Max Pacioretty last night about getting run into the stanchion by Zdeno Chara? We only ask because surely there have been worse things said during a hockey game. The only difference is they’re not shared with the media.
One guy that thinks this whole thing is absurd is Buffalo coach Lindy Ruff.
“I could give you one situation every night [where there is trash-talking],” Ruff said today, as per BuffaloNews.com. “For [the Canadiens] to go public that I thought was ridiculous on their part. They were looking for something to talk about or feel good about after that game and they’re barking up the wrong tree if you ask me.”
Gaustad concurred: “Trash talking is a part of the game. It gets guys off their game. You just have to be careful of not letting guys get under your skin. It’s a passionate game. They played hard, we played hard. I thought it was a fun game last night.”
Maybe that’s being insensitive to Pacioretty, who suffered a broken neck as a result of the Chara hit. Maybe Gaustad wouldn’t have been so willing to say what he did if he’d been through that ordeal, which must’ve been awful. But come on, it’s hockey.
- Under Pressure: Turris, MacArthur & Ryan 0
- It’s Ottawa Senators day on PHT 5
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47