Feb 1, 2012, 12:45 PM EDT
Just wondering, is anyone actually surprised that Paul Gaustad chirped Max Pacioretty last night about getting run into the stanchion by Zdeno Chara? We only ask because surely there have been worse things said during a hockey game. The only difference is they’re not shared with the media.
One guy that thinks this whole thing is absurd is Buffalo coach Lindy Ruff.
“I could give you one situation every night [where there is trash-talking],” Ruff said today, as per BuffaloNews.com. “For [the Canadiens] to go public that I thought was ridiculous on their part. They were looking for something to talk about or feel good about after that game and they’re barking up the wrong tree if you ask me.”
Gaustad concurred: “Trash talking is a part of the game. It gets guys off their game. You just have to be careful of not letting guys get under your skin. It’s a passionate game. They played hard, we played hard. I thought it was a fun game last night.”
Maybe that’s being insensitive to Pacioretty, who suffered a broken neck as a result of the Chara hit. Maybe Gaustad wouldn’t have been so willing to say what he did if he’d been through that ordeal, which must’ve been awful. But come on, it’s hockey.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 28
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 52
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 24
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 87
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 14
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)