Feb 1, 2012, 12:45 PM EDT
Just wondering, is anyone actually surprised that Paul Gaustad chirped Max Pacioretty last night about getting run into the stanchion by Zdeno Chara? We only ask because surely there have been worse things said during a hockey game. The only difference is they’re not shared with the media.
One guy that thinks this whole thing is absurd is Buffalo coach Lindy Ruff.
“I could give you one situation every night [where there is trash-talking],” Ruff said today, as per BuffaloNews.com. “For [the Canadiens] to go public that I thought was ridiculous on their part. They were looking for something to talk about or feel good about after that game and they’re barking up the wrong tree if you ask me.”
Gaustad concurred: “Trash talking is a part of the game. It gets guys off their game. You just have to be careful of not letting guys get under your skin. It’s a passionate game. They played hard, we played hard. I thought it was a fun game last night.”
Maybe that’s being insensitive to Pacioretty, who suffered a broken neck as a result of the Chara hit. Maybe Gaustad wouldn’t have been so willing to say what he did if he’d been through that ordeal, which must’ve been awful. But come on, it’s hockey.
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 1
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 4
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 26
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 41
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)