Feb 1, 2012, 10:20 AM EST
Predators GM David Poile has quite the time ahead of him. With two cornerstone defensemen to get locked up to long-term deals in Ryan Suter and Shea Weber while managing a team that’s notoriously thrifty life can get tricky.
What we weren’t aware of though was that negotiating a contract with an impending unrestricted free agent like Suter is a lot like courtship. That’s what Josh Cooper of The Tennessean finds out from Poile as the Preds GM opens up about what it’s like to talk things over with a franchise player.
“We talk every week. I met with (his agent) Neil Sheehy for about an hour before the game tonight. It’s just ongoing. It’s the same situation. Everything is being said the way you want a player to say it and the way you want a negotiation to go, except for the final commitment. It’s almost like we’re having a good time together, but we haven’t decided to get married yet.”
This is almost set up to be played out like an episode of “The Bachelor” except instead of roses there are team sweaters.
As for whether or not there’s a deadline to make a move with Suter, Poile says his only deadline is July 1. Keep that in mind as the trade deadline approaches in a few weeks.
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 8
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 26
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 62
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 41
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (116)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)