Feb 1, 2012, 10:20 AM EDT
Predators GM David Poile has quite the time ahead of him. With two cornerstone defensemen to get locked up to long-term deals in Ryan Suter and Shea Weber while managing a team that’s notoriously thrifty life can get tricky.
What we weren’t aware of though was that negotiating a contract with an impending unrestricted free agent like Suter is a lot like courtship. That’s what Josh Cooper of The Tennessean finds out from Poile as the Preds GM opens up about what it’s like to talk things over with a franchise player.
“We talk every week. I met with (his agent) Neil Sheehy for about an hour before the game tonight. It’s just ongoing. It’s the same situation. Everything is being said the way you want a player to say it and the way you want a negotiation to go, except for the final commitment. It’s almost like we’re having a good time together, but we haven’t decided to get married yet.”
This is almost set up to be played out like an episode of “The Bachelor” except instead of roses there are team sweaters.
As for whether or not there’s a deadline to make a move with Suter, Poile says his only deadline is July 1. Keep that in mind as the trade deadline approaches in a few weeks.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 5
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 10
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 80
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (80)