Feb 1, 2012, 3:26 PM EDT
It’s hard to pinpoint exactly what caused the bad blood in last night’s Sharks-Blue Jackets tilt, a game that featured nearly 100 penalty minutes.
Or, as Columbus coach Todd Richards suggested, maybe it was THE WATER-BOTTLE FACTOR.
“As [Derek] Dorsett is coming down the ice, you can see a water bottle squirted on him from San Jose’s bench,” Richards told CSN Bay Area of a third-period fight between Dorsett and Colin White. “I don’t know if that’s what set him off, but as he’s carrying the puck up the ice, that happens.
“Things erupt a little bit then and you get some emotion.”
Here’s video of what we assume to be the alleged incident. There’s a really good close-up at the 54 second mark, though no clear-cut evidence of any squirting.
Interesting to note that, at the 28 second mark, Dorsett emerges from the fight gesturing at the Sharks bench. Could it be in response to the alleged squirt?
Whatever the case, the Blue Jackets will likely want to put this incident behind them and focus on their next opponent — the Los Angeles Kings. If any Kings end up squirting water from the bench, at least the Jackets will know it’s accidental:
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 23
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)