Feb 1, 2012, 3:26 PM EDT
It’s hard to pinpoint exactly what caused the bad blood in last night’s Sharks-Blue Jackets tilt, a game that featured nearly 100 penalty minutes.
Or, as Columbus coach Todd Richards suggested, maybe it was THE WATER-BOTTLE FACTOR.
“As [Derek] Dorsett is coming down the ice, you can see a water bottle squirted on him from San Jose’s bench,” Richards told CSN Bay Area of a third-period fight between Dorsett and Colin White. “I don’t know if that’s what set him off, but as he’s carrying the puck up the ice, that happens.
“Things erupt a little bit then and you get some emotion.”
Here’s video of what we assume to be the alleged incident. There’s a really good close-up at the 54 second mark, though no clear-cut evidence of any squirting.
Interesting to note that, at the 28 second mark, Dorsett emerges from the fight gesturing at the Sharks bench. Could it be in response to the alleged squirt?
Whatever the case, the Blue Jackets will likely want to put this incident behind them and focus on their next opponent — the Los Angeles Kings. If any Kings end up squirting water from the bench, at least the Jackets will know it’s accidental:
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 16
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 22
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 33
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)