Feb 1, 2012, 3:26 PM EST
It’s hard to pinpoint exactly what caused the bad blood in last night’s Sharks-Blue Jackets tilt, a game that featured nearly 100 penalty minutes.
Or, as Columbus coach Todd Richards suggested, maybe it was THE WATER-BOTTLE FACTOR.
“As [Derek] Dorsett is coming down the ice, you can see a water bottle squirted on him from San Jose’s bench,” Richards told CSN Bay Area of a third-period fight between Dorsett and Colin White. “I don’t know if that’s what set him off, but as he’s carrying the puck up the ice, that happens.
“Things erupt a little bit then and you get some emotion.”
Here’s video of what we assume to be the alleged incident. There’s a really good close-up at the 54 second mark, though no clear-cut evidence of any squirting.
Interesting to note that, at the 28 second mark, Dorsett emerges from the fight gesturing at the Sharks bench. Could it be in response to the alleged squirt?
Whatever the case, the Blue Jackets will likely want to put this incident behind them and focus on their next opponent — the Los Angeles Kings. If any Kings end up squirting water from the bench, at least the Jackets will know it’s accidental:
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 2
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 5
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 1
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 14
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 30
- Video: Canadiens honor long-time captain Saku Koivu 2
- Crosby back for Pens after missing three games with the mumps 1
- Comparing the shot differentials of all 30 teams 10
- PHT interviews Jim Nill, who’s ‘not surprised’ by Stars’ early-season struggles 2
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 3