Jan 31, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
For many realists/fun-killers, a late January match between the Chicago Blackhawks and Vancouver Canucks isn’t that big of a deal. The rest of us cannot help but get excited, though, especially after Dave Bolland stirred the pot early in the season.
Ben Kuzma reports that Canucks head coach Alain Vigneault doesn’t think that Bolland’s comments will make much of a difference simply because the hostilities would be boiling over anyway.
Vigneault makes an excellent point, but it could always get more interesting. With that in mind, enjoy a few interesting tidbits to fan those flames.
- Roberto Luongo provided Ian MacIntyre with an unusual take on how these games tend to feel, even if he’ll just be experiencing such a phenomenon from the bench (barring an injury or other debacle for Cory Schneider).
“You feel these are the games that get more and more important as you move along in the season,” Luongo said. “It just feels that it blows by and the next thing you know you’re in the playoffs.”
- Gordon McIntyre reports that there’s one Blackhawks player who the Canucks are still friends with. (It will seem painfully obvious who that player is once you end up clicking the link … if you didn’t figure it out already).
- Speaking of that guy referenced in the previous link, The Canadian Press speculates that this could be his last chance to win the Stanley Cup.
- Chris Kuc reports that the Blackhawks are aware that they need to tighten up on defense.
- Daniel Sedin provides Ed Willes with a revealing depiction of Vigneault’s minimalistic approach to interacting with players, which makes him sound like the anti-Bruce Boudreau. (They both might love ice cream, though.)
- Finally, sit back and enjoy this collection of recent Blackhawks-Canucks videos, which spotlights a notable lack of friendliness.
Something tells me there will be plenty of entries for “Jan. 31, 2012.”
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 16
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 21
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 62
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 85
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 9
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 56
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights