Jan 31, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
For many realists/fun-killers, a late January match between the Chicago Blackhawks and Vancouver Canucks isn’t that big of a deal. The rest of us cannot help but get excited, though, especially after Dave Bolland stirred the pot early in the season.
Ben Kuzma reports that Canucks head coach Alain Vigneault doesn’t think that Bolland’s comments will make much of a difference simply because the hostilities would be boiling over anyway.
Vigneault makes an excellent point, but it could always get more interesting. With that in mind, enjoy a few interesting tidbits to fan those flames.
- Roberto Luongo provided Ian MacIntyre with an unusual take on how these games tend to feel, even if he’ll just be experiencing such a phenomenon from the bench (barring an injury or other debacle for Cory Schneider).
“You feel these are the games that get more and more important as you move along in the season,” Luongo said. “It just feels that it blows by and the next thing you know you’re in the playoffs.”
- Gordon McIntyre reports that there’s one Blackhawks player who the Canucks are still friends with. (It will seem painfully obvious who that player is once you end up clicking the link … if you didn’t figure it out already).
- Speaking of that guy referenced in the previous link, The Canadian Press speculates that this could be his last chance to win the Stanley Cup.
- Chris Kuc reports that the Blackhawks are aware that they need to tighten up on defense.
- Daniel Sedin provides Ed Willes with a revealing depiction of Vigneault’s minimalistic approach to interacting with players, which makes him sound like the anti-Bruce Boudreau. (They both might love ice cream, though.)
- Finally, sit back and enjoy this collection of recent Blackhawks-Canucks videos, which spotlights a notable lack of friendliness.
Something tells me there will be plenty of entries for “Jan. 31, 2012.”
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 33
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 13
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 93
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 17
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (93)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)