Jan 31, 2012, 11:46 AM EDT
Remember when the Islanders were kicking around the idea of playing a preseason game in Brooklyn at the new Barclays Center?
That idea is actually going to happen as the Islanders announced that they will face the New Jersey Devils on October 2 at the new arena in Brooklyn. While the arena itself opens on September 28, the Islanders game will be the first hockey game to be played in what will be the new home of the New Jersey Nets.
The announcement of the Isles playing a game in Brooklyn also works as a way for Islanders owner Charles Wang to see how the place fits as a possible future home for the team. The Islanders’ troubles in getting a new arena in Uniondale and Hempstead on Long Island have made their future in the area an uncertain one and if things play out well, Wang could try to have the team move into the digs in Brooklyn.
The one catch with Barclays Center when it comes to hosting hockey, however, is that the arena seats just 14,500. With that as the maximum capacity, it would make it the smallest arena in the league, even smaller than Winnipeg’s MTS Centre.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)