Jan 31, 2012, 11:46 AM EST
Remember when the Islanders were kicking around the idea of playing a preseason game in Brooklyn at the new Barclays Center?
That idea is actually going to happen as the Islanders announced that they will face the New Jersey Devils on October 2 at the new arena in Brooklyn. While the arena itself opens on September 28, the Islanders game will be the first hockey game to be played in what will be the new home of the New Jersey Nets.
The announcement of the Isles playing a game in Brooklyn also works as a way for Islanders owner Charles Wang to see how the place fits as a possible future home for the team. The Islanders’ troubles in getting a new arena in Uniondale and Hempstead on Long Island have made their future in the area an uncertain one and if things play out well, Wang could try to have the team move into the digs in Brooklyn.
The one catch with Barclays Center when it comes to hosting hockey, however, is that the arena seats just 14,500. With that as the maximum capacity, it would make it the smallest arena in the league, even smaller than Winnipeg’s MTS Centre.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 11
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 6
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 17
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 53
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)