Jan 31, 2012, 9:31 AM EST
According to Mark Everson of the New York Post, the Devils won’t be entertaining any trade possibilities for their team captain.
Sources say inquiring general managers are getting the word Devils GM Lou Lamoriello is not dealing unrestricted free agent-to-be Zach Parise before the NHL’s Feb. 27 trade deadline.
Instead, it is thought if the Devils do not want to re-sign Parise in June, they’ll trade his rights to a team that wants an advance shot at negotiations before he becomes free July 1.
If Everson’s sources are right (and you never know with these things) then Devils GM Lou Lamoriello will be living on the edge in figuring out what to do with their young superstar.
Trading Parise’s rights before July 1 should he not sign an extension or wind up dealt before then means the Devils may not get as much in return for him. If the Devils put Parise up for trade before the trade deadline, Lamoriello would likely have his choice of huge offers for the stud winger.
It takes two to tango and some teams may not want to risk prospects or players for a guy that may not sign with them when free agency arrives. The Devils then run the risk of losing Parise for nothing, something that won’t help out a franchise that’s surrounded by bad financial news.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 13
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)