Jan 31, 2012, 9:31 AM EDT
According to Mark Everson of the New York Post, the Devils won’t be entertaining any trade possibilities for their team captain.
Sources say inquiring general managers are getting the word Devils GM Lou Lamoriello is not dealing unrestricted free agent-to-be Zach Parise before the NHL’s Feb. 27 trade deadline.
Instead, it is thought if the Devils do not want to re-sign Parise in June, they’ll trade his rights to a team that wants an advance shot at negotiations before he becomes free July 1.
If Everson’s sources are right (and you never know with these things) then Devils GM Lou Lamoriello will be living on the edge in figuring out what to do with their young superstar.
Trading Parise’s rights before July 1 should he not sign an extension or wind up dealt before then means the Devils may not get as much in return for him. If the Devils put Parise up for trade before the trade deadline, Lamoriello would likely have his choice of huge offers for the stud winger.
It takes two to tango and some teams may not want to risk prospects or players for a guy that may not sign with them when free agency arrives. The Devils then run the risk of losing Parise for nothing, something that won’t help out a franchise that’s surrounded by bad financial news.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 2
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 23
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 30
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 34
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)