Jan 31, 2012, 9:31 AM EDT
According to Mark Everson of the New York Post, the Devils won’t be entertaining any trade possibilities for their team captain.
Sources say inquiring general managers are getting the word Devils GM Lou Lamoriello is not dealing unrestricted free agent-to-be Zach Parise before the NHL’s Feb. 27 trade deadline.
Instead, it is thought if the Devils do not want to re-sign Parise in June, they’ll trade his rights to a team that wants an advance shot at negotiations before he becomes free July 1.
If Everson’s sources are right (and you never know with these things) then Devils GM Lou Lamoriello will be living on the edge in figuring out what to do with their young superstar.
Trading Parise’s rights before July 1 should he not sign an extension or wind up dealt before then means the Devils may not get as much in return for him. If the Devils put Parise up for trade before the trade deadline, Lamoriello would likely have his choice of huge offers for the stud winger.
It takes two to tango and some teams may not want to risk prospects or players for a guy that may not sign with them when free agency arrives. The Devils then run the risk of losing Parise for nothing, something that won’t help out a franchise that’s surrounded by bad financial news.
- Your Lightning-Rangers Game 7 officials are… 0
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 27
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 11
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 44
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)