Jan 31, 2012, 2:54 PM EDT
Back in December, Toronto radio personality and former Leafs assistant GM Bill Watters floated a juicy rumor that had Carolina captain Eric Staal headed to the Leafs in what would’ve been a blockbuster trade. Unfortunately for those of us in the business of increasing page views, said rumor was quickly shot down by Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford.
Flash forward to yesterday, when Watters floated an even juicier rumor on Twitter, this one involving Blue Jackets captain Rick Nash and the Leafs:
That tweet spurred TSN’s Darren Dreger into action, reaching Leafs GM Brian Burke for comment:
Of course, Burke’s denial didn’t stop the Toronto Star from handicapping the probability of the trade actually occurring:
On a scale of 1-10, let’s just say this one is way down the list of probability. We give it a 3, but that could change as the trade deadline gets closer.
A 30 percent chance, eh? And the Star suggests it could go even higher!
Suffice to say blogs should keep writing about this rumor. It’s just good business.
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 90
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32