Jan 31, 2012, 2:54 PM EDT
Back in December, Toronto radio personality and former Leafs assistant GM Bill Watters floated a juicy rumor that had Carolina captain Eric Staal headed to the Leafs in what would’ve been a blockbuster trade. Unfortunately for those of us in the business of increasing page views, said rumor was quickly shot down by Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford.
Flash forward to yesterday, when Watters floated an even juicier rumor on Twitter, this one involving Blue Jackets captain Rick Nash and the Leafs:
That tweet spurred TSN’s Darren Dreger into action, reaching Leafs GM Brian Burke for comment:
Of course, Burke’s denial didn’t stop the Toronto Star from handicapping the probability of the trade actually occurring:
On a scale of 1-10, let’s just say this one is way down the list of probability. We give it a 3, but that could change as the trade deadline gets closer.
A 30 percent chance, eh? And the Star suggests it could go even higher!
Suffice to say blogs should keep writing about this rumor. It’s just good business.
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 7
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 21
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 7
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 53
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39