Jan 31, 2012, 2:54 PM EDT
Back in December, Toronto radio personality and former Leafs assistant GM Bill Watters floated a juicy rumor that had Carolina captain Eric Staal headed to the Leafs in what would’ve been a blockbuster trade. Unfortunately for those of us in the business of increasing page views, said rumor was quickly shot down by Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford.
Flash forward to yesterday, when Watters floated an even juicier rumor on Twitter, this one involving Blue Jackets captain Rick Nash and the Leafs:
That tweet spurred TSN’s Darren Dreger into action, reaching Leafs GM Brian Burke for comment:
Of course, Burke’s denial didn’t stop the Toronto Star from handicapping the probability of the trade actually occurring:
On a scale of 1-10, let’s just say this one is way down the list of probability. We give it a 3, but that could change as the trade deadline gets closer.
A 30 percent chance, eh? And the Star suggests it could go even higher!
Suffice to say blogs should keep writing about this rumor. It’s just good business.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 25
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 23
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 36
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (68)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)