Jan 31, 2012, 2:54 PM EDT
Back in December, Toronto radio personality and former Leafs assistant GM Bill Watters floated a juicy rumor that had Carolina captain Eric Staal headed to the Leafs in what would’ve been a blockbuster trade. Unfortunately for those of us in the business of increasing page views, said rumor was quickly shot down by Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford.
Flash forward to yesterday, when Watters floated an even juicier rumor on Twitter, this one involving Blue Jackets captain Rick Nash and the Leafs:
That tweet spurred TSN’s Darren Dreger into action, reaching Leafs GM Brian Burke for comment:
Of course, Burke’s denial didn’t stop the Toronto Star from handicapping the probability of the trade actually occurring:
On a scale of 1-10, let’s just say this one is way down the list of probability. We give it a 3, but that could change as the trade deadline gets closer.
A 30 percent chance, eh? And the Star suggests it could go even higher!
Suffice to say blogs should keep writing about this rumor. It’s just good business.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 11
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 33
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25