Jan 31, 2012, 2:54 PM EDT
Back in December, Toronto radio personality and former Leafs assistant GM Bill Watters floated a juicy rumor that had Carolina captain Eric Staal headed to the Leafs in what would’ve been a blockbuster trade. Unfortunately for those of us in the business of increasing page views, said rumor was quickly shot down by Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford.
Flash forward to yesterday, when Watters floated an even juicier rumor on Twitter, this one involving Blue Jackets captain Rick Nash and the Leafs:
That tweet spurred TSN’s Darren Dreger into action, reaching Leafs GM Brian Burke for comment:
Of course, Burke’s denial didn’t stop the Toronto Star from handicapping the probability of the trade actually occurring:
On a scale of 1-10, let’s just say this one is way down the list of probability. We give it a 3, but that could change as the trade deadline gets closer.
A 30 percent chance, eh? And the Star suggests it could go even higher!
Suffice to say blogs should keep writing about this rumor. It’s just good business.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 4
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 31
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 34
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 52
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (52)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)