Jan 31, 2012, 9:16 PM EST
Rick Rypien’s suicide touched a lot of lives, including former teammates such as Vancouver Canucks defenseman Kevin Bieksa.
CSNChicago.com’s Tracey Myers goes behind Bieksa’s drive to help re-launch Mindcheck.ca, a site designed to reach out to people suffering from mental illnesses – including the issues Rypien couldn’t overcome.
“What he always talked about doing was giving back, doing something that could help other kids who were in the same situation as him, sharing his story and struggles,” Bieksa said. “This is just kind of lending that ear, showing there are other people out there. It’s kind of me carrying on Rick’s legacy.”
Bieksa estimates that about 40,000 people have visited the site since it re-launched and players are getting behind the cause. Myers points out that Henrik Sedin wore a T-shirt advertising Mindcheck.ca during the 2012 All-Star weekend, for one. Bieksa hopes to help people like Rypien, whose death was “obviously the biggest loss” he’s had to endure.
“A lot of people are saying how much they appreciate it, that it’s a good idea. Some people are admitting they’re currently struggling with depression or anxiety and the website is a great help,” Bieksa said. “That means a lot to get those responses.”
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)