Jagr on helping Giroux win scoring title: “It would be like I won it”

Jan 31, 2012, 1:28 PM EST

jagr giroux 2

CSN Philadelphia’s Tim Panaccio caught up with Jaromir Jagr on Tuesday to discuss the 39-year-old’s goals for the second half of the season. Jagr said he had plenty of goals to achieve, but one stood out above the rest:

Getting Claude Giroux the Art Ross trophy.

“Individually, I have the goal to play the way I think I can – that would make me happy,” Jagr said. “Maybe help G [Giroux] to win the scoring title. Maybe help Hartsy [Scott Hartnell] to have the best season ever. That’s my goals.”

With the second goal already accomplished — Hartnell just competed in his first-ever All-Star game — Jagr, a five-time Art Ross winner, can now focus on making Giroux the first Flyer to win a scoring title.

[Worth noting: In 1994-95, Eric Lindros came within a whisker of winning Philly’s first-ever Art Ross. He finished tied atop the scoring leaderboard with 70 points — it was a strike-shortened season — but lost on a tiebreaker because he had fewer goals than the winner…Pittsburgh’s Jaromir Jagr!]

“To me, it would be like I won it,” Jagr said about Giroux winning the trophy. “It’s tough for one guy to do it. You always need help from your teammates. There is no more [Wayne] Gretzky in the league.

“If I play with him and I play good, I think he’s is going to win it. But it’s up to me how I play.”

Giroux currently sits second in league scoring with 55 points, three back of Pittsburgh’s Evgeni Malkin, who won the Art Ross three years ago. Giroux said he and Jagr talk often about capturing the scoring crown.

“Obviously, I want to do that,” he said. “Jags has been talking about me for the last year about winning that. It’d be cool to win it, but I never would go out of my way to win the scoring title.

“If it’s there, it’s there.”

1. lsxphotog - Jan 31, 2012 at 1:38 PM

All scoring title winners have one thing in common, they have terrific linemates. I think they should come out with a trophy for the best pairings in the league. You’ll be hard to beat Hartnell, Giroux, and Jagr…but there are some great lines out there.

2. orpikseyes - Jan 31, 2012 at 1:38 PM

these 2 bromos need to hit up a blaqk store and pick up some creamy crack so they can have some good hair.

• orpikseyes - Jan 31, 2012 at 1:39 PM

like my boy Letang. hair like VELVET!!!!

3. broadstbully33 - Jan 31, 2012 at 1:43 PM

PIMP…..best player in the world…makes cindy look like a minor leaguer

• letangshair - Jan 31, 2012 at 1:55 PM

guess that makes geno and crosby the best players in the universe. along with neal and letang. the only reason the penguins werent the full roster of all stars is because that game happens every morning skate in pittsburgh.

• orpikseyes - Jan 31, 2012 at 1:58 PM

SHIT ON!!!!!

• yettyskills - Jan 31, 2012 at 2:09 PM

What a stupid comment

4. me6661973 - Jan 31, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Jagr the man. Goal like to see plus Stanley. Crybaby going be in corner having a fit. Go Flyers

5. pittsburghpoonslayer - Jan 31, 2012 at 2:35 PM

this is actually amusing!!! haha what a joke. soup can sid could come back today and have more points than that ugly ass snaggled black tooth retard

• vismund11 - Jan 31, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Some respect for a former player, your team probably wouldn’t have even got cups in the 90′s without Jagr. You fair weather fan ,lol

6. paulsdamnblog - Jan 31, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Awards are nice, but I’d rather see the cup!

7. jamesmakesurmomneil - Jan 31, 2012 at 4:12 PM

It’s a joke to mention “g” in the same category as Geno PringleCan. Figures all Jagr can do is be a 4million dollar cheerleader who wakes up 3 times a night to pee. Good luck with this achy groin old man, glad to see “g” has a good role model

8. pittsburghpoonslayer - Jan 31, 2012 at 7:34 PM

vismund took his mouth off his mothers nipple for a minute to get on here and chime in his filthadelphian 2 cents. jagrs a joke hes a filthy old fithadelphian now and the city of champions has no room for disgusting filth

9. greenkeeper15 - Jan 31, 2012 at 9:33 PM

city of champions
    lets go pirates

Coaches in and out of the hot seat

Top 10 NHL Player Searches