Jan 31, 2012, 1:28 PM EDT
CSN Philadelphia’s Tim Panaccio caught up with Jaromir Jagr on Tuesday to discuss the 39-year-old’s goals for the second half of the season. Jagr said he had plenty of goals to achieve, but one stood out above the rest:
“Individually, I have the goal to play the way I think I can – that would make me happy,” Jagr said. “Maybe help G [Giroux] to win the scoring title. Maybe help Hartsy [Scott Hartnell] to have the best season ever. That’s my goals.”
With the second goal already accomplished — Hartnell just competed in his first-ever All-Star game — Jagr, a five-time Art Ross winner, can now focus on making Giroux the first Flyer to win a scoring title.
[Worth noting: In 1994-95, Eric Lindros came within a whisker of winning Philly’s first-ever Art Ross. He finished tied atop the scoring leaderboard with 70 points — it was a strike-shortened season — but lost on a tiebreaker because he had fewer goals than the winner…Pittsburgh’s Jaromir Jagr!]
“To me, it would be like I won it,” Jagr said about Giroux winning the trophy. “It’s tough for one guy to do it. You always need help from your teammates. There is no more [Wayne] Gretzky in the league.
“If I play with him and I play good, I think he’s is going to win it. But it’s up to me how I play.”
Giroux currently sits second in league scoring with 55 points, three back of Pittsburgh’s Evgeni Malkin, who won the Art Ross three years ago. Giroux said he and Jagr talk often about capturing the scoring crown.
“Obviously, I want to do that,” he said. “Jags has been talking about me for the last year about winning that. It’d be cool to win it, but I never would go out of my way to win the scoring title.
“If it’s there, it’s there.”
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 5
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 13
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12