Jan 31, 2012, 1:28 PM EDT
CSN Philadelphia’s Tim Panaccio caught up with Jaromir Jagr on Tuesday to discuss the 39-year-old’s goals for the second half of the season. Jagr said he had plenty of goals to achieve, but one stood out above the rest:
“Individually, I have the goal to play the way I think I can – that would make me happy,” Jagr said. “Maybe help G [Giroux] to win the scoring title. Maybe help Hartsy [Scott Hartnell] to have the best season ever. That’s my goals.”
With the second goal already accomplished — Hartnell just competed in his first-ever All-Star game — Jagr, a five-time Art Ross winner, can now focus on making Giroux the first Flyer to win a scoring title.
[Worth noting: In 1994-95, Eric Lindros came within a whisker of winning Philly's first-ever Art Ross. He finished tied atop the scoring leaderboard with 70 points -- it was a strike-shortened season -- but lost on a tiebreaker because he had fewer goals than the winner...Pittsburgh's Jaromir Jagr!]
“To me, it would be like I won it,” Jagr said about Giroux winning the trophy. “It’s tough for one guy to do it. You always need help from your teammates. There is no more [Wayne] Gretzky in the league.
“If I play with him and I play good, I think he’s is going to win it. But it’s up to me how I play.”
Giroux currently sits second in league scoring with 55 points, three back of Pittsburgh’s Evgeni Malkin, who won the Art Ross three years ago. Giroux said he and Jagr talk often about capturing the scoring crown.
“Obviously, I want to do that,” he said. “Jags has been talking about me for the last year about winning that. It’d be cool to win it, but I never would go out of my way to win the scoring title.
“If it’s there, it’s there.”
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 12
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 38
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 53
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54