Jan 31, 2012, 11:03 PM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres’ 3-1 win ties them with the team they beat (the Montreal Canadiens) and the New York Islanders for the second lowest points total in the Eastern Conference at 51, but that’s as close to good news as they’re getting tonight.
(I mean, unless you’re really excited about a rare Ville Leino goal.)
The Buffalo News’ John Vogl passes along word from Sabres head coach Lindy Ruff that Thomas Vanek will miss “at least a week” with an upper-body injury suffered in the first period. Ruff told reporters that the team’s $7.14 million-per-year winger will “require more evaluation” before the true severity of his ailments are revealed.
Jason Pominville was Buffalo’s All-Star this season, but for the most part, Vanek has been one of the only other bright spots for the Sabres with 41 points in 50 games. He’s been ice cold lately, though, with a seven-game scoring drought and just one goal and one assist since the New Year rolled around.
Even so, this is another brutal blow to a Buffalo team that was already reeling from letdowns and injuries.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)