Jan 31, 2012, 11:03 PM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres’ 3-1 win ties them with the team they beat (the Montreal Canadiens) and the New York Islanders for the second lowest points total in the Eastern Conference at 51, but that’s as close to good news as they’re getting tonight.
(I mean, unless you’re really excited about a rare Ville Leino goal.)
The Buffalo News’ John Vogl passes along word from Sabres head coach Lindy Ruff that Thomas Vanek will miss “at least a week” with an upper-body injury suffered in the first period. Ruff told reporters that the team’s $7.14 million-per-year winger will “require more evaluation” before the true severity of his ailments are revealed.
Jason Pominville was Buffalo’s All-Star this season, but for the most part, Vanek has been one of the only other bright spots for the Sabres with 41 points in 50 games. He’s been ice cold lately, though, with a seven-game scoring drought and just one goal and one assist since the New Year rolled around.
Even so, this is another brutal blow to a Buffalo team that was already reeling from letdowns and injuries.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (34)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)