Jan 31, 2012, 8:32 AM EST
Henrik Zetterberg‘s season hasn’t exactly been one he’ll want to remember.
While Zetterberg is second on the Wings in assists behind Pavel Datsyuk, he’s ninth on the team in goals with nine. While Zetterberg is counted on to be strong defensively, his offensive game is supposed to be just as strong and apparent. As Zetterberg tells George Sipple of the Detroit Free Press, he has just one solution to try and work things out.
“Of course you wish it would it would go a little bit better,” Zetterberg said Monday, as the Wings regrouped from the All-Star break. “Nothing you can do about it. Just work hard and hopefully it will turn around.”
Zetterberg is trying every trick he’s got in the books as he leads the Red Wings in shots on goal. When you’re cashing in at just 5.9 percent of the time, however, becoming an assist man is a better way to keep the offense going, and it’s paying off for his linemates Valtteri Filppula and Jiri Hudler who are having big seasons.
Still, if the Red Wings want to stay on top in the Central and make a run at the Stanley Cup, they’ll need more of Zetterberg’s shots to find the back of the net. Filppula and Hudler have been good and Datsyuk has been great, but Zetterberg completes the package.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)