Jan 31, 2012, 8:32 AM EDT
Henrik Zetterberg‘s season hasn’t exactly been one he’ll want to remember.
While Zetterberg is second on the Wings in assists behind Pavel Datsyuk, he’s ninth on the team in goals with nine. While Zetterberg is counted on to be strong defensively, his offensive game is supposed to be just as strong and apparent. As Zetterberg tells George Sipple of the Detroit Free Press, he has just one solution to try and work things out.
“Of course you wish it would it would go a little bit better,” Zetterberg said Monday, as the Wings regrouped from the All-Star break. “Nothing you can do about it. Just work hard and hopefully it will turn around.”
Zetterberg is trying every trick he’s got in the books as he leads the Red Wings in shots on goal. When you’re cashing in at just 5.9 percent of the time, however, becoming an assist man is a better way to keep the offense going, and it’s paying off for his linemates Valtteri Filppula and Jiri Hudler who are having big seasons.
Still, if the Red Wings want to stay on top in the Central and make a run at the Stanley Cup, they’ll need more of Zetterberg’s shots to find the back of the net. Filppula and Hudler have been good and Datsyuk has been great, but Zetterberg completes the package.
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 12
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 11
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 39
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)