Jan 31, 2012, 8:32 AM EDT
Henrik Zetterberg‘s season hasn’t exactly been one he’ll want to remember.
While Zetterberg is second on the Wings in assists behind Pavel Datsyuk, he’s ninth on the team in goals with nine. While Zetterberg is counted on to be strong defensively, his offensive game is supposed to be just as strong and apparent. As Zetterberg tells George Sipple of the Detroit Free Press, he has just one solution to try and work things out.
“Of course you wish it would it would go a little bit better,” Zetterberg said Monday, as the Wings regrouped from the All-Star break. “Nothing you can do about it. Just work hard and hopefully it will turn around.”
Zetterberg is trying every trick he’s got in the books as he leads the Red Wings in shots on goal. When you’re cashing in at just 5.9 percent of the time, however, becoming an assist man is a better way to keep the offense going, and it’s paying off for his linemates Valtteri Filppula and Jiri Hudler who are having big seasons.
Still, if the Red Wings want to stay on top in the Central and make a run at the Stanley Cup, they’ll need more of Zetterberg’s shots to find the back of the net. Filppula and Hudler have been good and Datsyuk has been great, but Zetterberg completes the package.
- Tortorella takes blame for top players’ struggles 6
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 35
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 68
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 36
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona
- Play Video: Howard with a couple of tremendous saves in Game 5
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins move onto Eastern Conference finals
- Play Video: Lundqvist takes one away from Lucic
- Play Video: Stepan's face takes a beating
- Play Video: Dorsett vs. Thornton
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on