Jan 31, 2012, 8:32 AM EST
Henrik Zetterberg‘s season hasn’t exactly been one he’ll want to remember.
While Zetterberg is second on the Wings in assists behind Pavel Datsyuk, he’s ninth on the team in goals with nine. While Zetterberg is counted on to be strong defensively, his offensive game is supposed to be just as strong and apparent. As Zetterberg tells George Sipple of the Detroit Free Press, he has just one solution to try and work things out.
“Of course you wish it would it would go a little bit better,” Zetterberg said Monday, as the Wings regrouped from the All-Star break. “Nothing you can do about it. Just work hard and hopefully it will turn around.”
Zetterberg is trying every trick he’s got in the books as he leads the Red Wings in shots on goal. When you’re cashing in at just 5.9 percent of the time, however, becoming an assist man is a better way to keep the offense going, and it’s paying off for his linemates Valtteri Filppula and Jiri Hudler who are having big seasons.
Still, if the Red Wings want to stay on top in the Central and make a run at the Stanley Cup, they’ll need more of Zetterberg’s shots to find the back of the net. Filppula and Hudler have been good and Datsyuk has been great, but Zetterberg completes the package.
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 2
- Wounded Wing: Howard (MCL sprain) out 2-4 weeks 2
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 60
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 28
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 46
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 85
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)