Jan 31, 2012, 8:32 AM EDT
Henrik Zetterberg‘s season hasn’t exactly been one he’ll want to remember.
While Zetterberg is second on the Wings in assists behind Pavel Datsyuk, he’s ninth on the team in goals with nine. While Zetterberg is counted on to be strong defensively, his offensive game is supposed to be just as strong and apparent. As Zetterberg tells George Sipple of the Detroit Free Press, he has just one solution to try and work things out.
“Of course you wish it would it would go a little bit better,” Zetterberg said Monday, as the Wings regrouped from the All-Star break. “Nothing you can do about it. Just work hard and hopefully it will turn around.”
Zetterberg is trying every trick he’s got in the books as he leads the Red Wings in shots on goal. When you’re cashing in at just 5.9 percent of the time, however, becoming an assist man is a better way to keep the offense going, and it’s paying off for his linemates Valtteri Filppula and Jiri Hudler who are having big seasons.
Still, if the Red Wings want to stay on top in the Central and make a run at the Stanley Cup, they’ll need more of Zetterberg’s shots to find the back of the net. Filppula and Hudler have been good and Datsyuk has been great, but Zetterberg completes the package.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)