Jan 31, 2012, 4:47 PM EDT
When it comes to NHL social media, New Jersey is a budding Mark Zuckerberg.
Hyperbolic? Maybe. But today, the club announced it received a pair of Bulldog Awards — honoring the best in media relations campaigns — for Mission Control, a digital communications initiative located inside the Prudential Center.
A pro sports first, the Mission Control project features a Digital Command Center located inside the Prudential Center (@PruCenter), designed to more effectively manage, monitor, and measure the franchise’s online brand engagements.
The center is fueled in part by the Devils Generals (@DevilsGenerals), a team of two-dozen socially-savvy fans who utilize Twitter, Facebook and other online channels hosted by the team/arena to extend the organization’s reach.
“So, can I watch this on the YouTubes?”
— My dad.
As mentioned, Mission Control captured two Bulldog Gold Awards: One in the Digitally/Socially Engaged Brand of the Year, and one for Best Use of Digital/Social in an Arts/Culture/Entertainment Campaign.
(And a bronze award for most aggressive backslash usage.)
“We fully embrace social media and recognize its importance in promoting our brand in a crowded entertainment marketplace,” said Richard Krezwick, the Predisdent of Devils Arena Entertainment. “Being honored for our ‘Mission Control’ initiative by Bulldog Reporter is a great testament to the hard work our staff put into this program to make it the success it’s become.”
If you’re wondering what the Bulldog Report is all about, click here and enjoy the piece about setting quantifiable PR objectives. I know I will.
In closing, a quick word about Mission Control. The Devils’ ability to leverage social media could create a paradigm shift, but only if they capitalize on this innovative vertical market. That could result in positive momentum, especially if the Devils can synergize their brand functionality with evolving landscapes. The practical application of this growth industry is dynamic!
- In praise of John Tavares 5
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 18
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 13
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 38
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 54
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31