Jan 31, 2012, 6:59 PM EDT
Pittsburgh captain Sidney Crosby and general manager Ray Shero met with the media this evening to address today’s team press release that stated Crosby “is suffering from a soft-tissue injury of the neck” and that there was “no evidence of a past or present neck fracture.”
Here are some notes from the press conference, which we’ll embed as soon as it’s available:
—- Shero said it’s impossible to say for certain when the soft-tissue injury occurred. It might’ve been last season, or it might’ve been during the eight games Crosby played in November and December.
—- Crosby said he isn’t upset with the Penguins’ medical staff. He said the team has encouraged him to seek outside opinions to gather all the information possible.
—-Shero praised the team’s medical staff and confirmed that the Penguins urge all their players to seek second and third opinions.
—-Crosby is pleased with the diagnosis of a soft-tissue injury, as it allows a plan of attack to be formulated and carried out. Otherwise he was just sitting around waiting for the symptoms to go away. “I think the biggest thing to take from it is that it’s something I can work on. I can come in and get my neck worked on.”
—- Regarding reports that Crosby had cracked his C1 and C2 vertebrae, Shero didn’t say that’s what Dr. Robert S. Bray diagnosed, only that Bray sought out a second opinion after seeing Crosby. This led to the diagnosis of a soft-tissue injury of the neck.
—-When asked how he felt while skating, Crosby said, “pretty good,” and that he felt better than he did a couple of weeks ago. However, he acknowledged he was “still dealing with some symptoms” and wasn’t yet where he wanted to be.
—-Shero said there’s never been any indication from doctors that Crosby would have to be shut down for the season or retire.
Update: here’s the video:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 6
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 19
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 10
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 36
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)