Jan 31, 2012, 12:47 PM EDT
Such was the case for The Globe And Mail’s Robert MacLeod who spoke with a “respected Toronto sports orthopedic surgeon” who told him that Sidney Crosby should retire from the NHL.
“Crosby would be far better off quitting the game and becoming the chief spokesperson for concussions and speaking out against head shots in the game,” said the doctor. “He is taking a huge gamble with his health by trying to come back.
“He has nothing left to prove in the game. And imagine the impact he would have, especially to younger kids, by getting out now. That alone would force the NHL to take serious steps to clean up its act.”
Getting word from someone in the business who knows about injuries is nice, but hearing it from a doctor we’ll have to assume has never examined Crosby and doesn’t know the specifics of his injury is doing a disservice to the story.
If you’re consulting a surgeon who knows his or her’s stuff, why not attribute said knowledge to them? For all we know, MacLeod’s doctor friend might be Dr. Nick Riviera and asking about Crosby’s health from a guy who went to Hollywood Upstairs Medical College isn’t any good.
This isn’t the first column written saying that Crosby should retire and until we find out what’s up with him, it won’t be the last. Letting the doctors figure out what’s going on with Crosby is apparently too hard to do.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)