Jan 31, 2012, 12:47 PM EDT
Such was the case for The Globe And Mail’s Robert MacLeod who spoke with a “respected Toronto sports orthopedic surgeon” who told him that Sidney Crosby should retire from the NHL.
“Crosby would be far better off quitting the game and becoming the chief spokesperson for concussions and speaking out against head shots in the game,” said the doctor. “He is taking a huge gamble with his health by trying to come back.
“He has nothing left to prove in the game. And imagine the impact he would have, especially to younger kids, by getting out now. That alone would force the NHL to take serious steps to clean up its act.”
Getting word from someone in the business who knows about injuries is nice, but hearing it from a doctor we’ll have to assume has never examined Crosby and doesn’t know the specifics of his injury is doing a disservice to the story.
If you’re consulting a surgeon who knows his or her’s stuff, why not attribute said knowledge to them? For all we know, MacLeod’s doctor friend might be Dr. Nick Riviera and asking about Crosby’s health from a guy who went to Hollywood Upstairs Medical College isn’t any good.
This isn’t the first column written saying that Crosby should retire and until we find out what’s up with him, it won’t be the last. Letting the doctors figure out what’s going on with Crosby is apparently too hard to do.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (34)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)