Jan 31, 2012, 12:47 PM EST
Such was the case for The Globe And Mail’s Robert MacLeod who spoke with a “respected Toronto sports orthopedic surgeon” who told him that Sidney Crosby should retire from the NHL.
“Crosby would be far better off quitting the game and becoming the chief spokesperson for concussions and speaking out against head shots in the game,” said the doctor. “He is taking a huge gamble with his health by trying to come back.
“He has nothing left to prove in the game. And imagine the impact he would have, especially to younger kids, by getting out now. That alone would force the NHL to take serious steps to clean up its act.”
Getting word from someone in the business who knows about injuries is nice, but hearing it from a doctor we’ll have to assume has never examined Crosby and doesn’t know the specifics of his injury is doing a disservice to the story.
If you’re consulting a surgeon who knows his or her’s stuff, why not attribute said knowledge to them? For all we know, MacLeod’s doctor friend might be Dr. Nick Riviera and asking about Crosby’s health from a guy who went to Hollywood Upstairs Medical College isn’t any good.
This isn’t the first column written saying that Crosby should retire and until we find out what’s up with him, it won’t be the last. Letting the doctors figure out what’s going on with Crosby is apparently too hard to do.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)