Jan 31, 2012, 12:47 PM EDT
Such was the case for The Globe And Mail’s Robert MacLeod who spoke with a “respected Toronto sports orthopedic surgeon” who told him that Sidney Crosby should retire from the NHL.
“Crosby would be far better off quitting the game and becoming the chief spokesperson for concussions and speaking out against head shots in the game,” said the doctor. “He is taking a huge gamble with his health by trying to come back.
“He has nothing left to prove in the game. And imagine the impact he would have, especially to younger kids, by getting out now. That alone would force the NHL to take serious steps to clean up its act.”
Getting word from someone in the business who knows about injuries is nice, but hearing it from a doctor we’ll have to assume has never examined Crosby and doesn’t know the specifics of his injury is doing a disservice to the story.
If you’re consulting a surgeon who knows his or her’s stuff, why not attribute said knowledge to them? For all we know, MacLeod’s doctor friend might be Dr. Nick Riviera and asking about Crosby’s health from a guy who went to Hollywood Upstairs Medical College isn’t any good.
This isn’t the first column written saying that Crosby should retire and until we find out what’s up with him, it won’t be the last. Letting the doctors figure out what’s going on with Crosby is apparently too hard to do.
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 33
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 19
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 31
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 25
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 19
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 20
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 75
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 105
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 21
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 33
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (106)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (100)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement