Jan 30, 2012, 11:22 PM EDT
Earlier tonight, we discussed the fact that Jonathan Toews and Patrick Sharp practiced with the Chicago Blackhawks on Monday. At the same time, it wasn’t yet clear if Toews’ All-Star Game sabbatical would be enough to heal him up for what should be a deliciously exciting game against the Vancouver Canucks tomorrow.
CSNChicago.com’s Tracey Myers has an update that justifies the conjecture about resting up for enemies as she reports that Toews will play against Chicago’s bitterest rivals. Sharp’s status remains questionable, however.
“(Monday) was the first tine I touched a puck since the injury but there are all kinds of precautionary things you have to go through,” Sharp said. “I’d like to think (I could play tomorrow). I’m a little rusty but, again, we’ll see how it feels in the morning.”
In the grand scheme of things, Toews received the equivalent of a spring break at the expense of a single regular season contest and another All-Star appearance. Deep down, you have to wonder if the Blackhawks are doing a mini-fist pump at this situation.
(It would have been an even bigger slam dunk if Chicago was victorious, but they instead dropped a game to the Nashville Predators, who topped them in a home-and-home set.)
Deep down, I wonder if other teams are jealous of the fact that big-minutes, high-impact stars like Toews and the Washington Capitals’ Alex Ovechkin were able to get these little siestas without the senior citizen pass awarded to Teemu Selanne and Nicklas Lidstrom. A more devious executive might just want to manufacture a few phantom injuries if both players enjoy clear benefits.
(Ovi raved about his unexpected vacation, for one.)
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)