Jan 30, 2012, 8:16 AM EDT
It’s possible you went into All-Star Weekend not caring much for Flyers forward Scott Hartnell. It’s even possible you disliked the guy a lot after seeing him beat your favorite team. One good way to win people over though is to do good things for those in need, and that’s just what he did during yesterday’s All-Star Game.
Hartnell has embraced a Twitter meme that counted up how many times he fell down during a game (#HartnellDown for those not in the Twitter world) and for yesterday’s game, Hartnell pledged $1000 for each time he went down.
The All-Star Game turned into a lucrative one for charity as he raised $4000 and Hartnell tells NHL.com’s Dave Lozo his teammates were more than eager to help him hit the ice.
“(Claude) Giroux was trying to trip me on the faceoffs,” Hartnell said. “He got me down during warmups once.”
It’s all fun and games during the All-Star Game, but doing little things like these as well as wearing a microphone during the game and giving Dion Phaneuf a piece of his mind will make Hartnell a cult hero in record time.
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 13
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 7
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 36
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 4
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)