Jan 30, 2012, 8:16 AM EDT
It’s possible you went into All-Star Weekend not caring much for Flyers forward Scott Hartnell. It’s even possible you disliked the guy a lot after seeing him beat your favorite team. One good way to win people over though is to do good things for those in need, and that’s just what he did during yesterday’s All-Star Game.
Hartnell has embraced a Twitter meme that counted up how many times he fell down during a game (#HartnellDown for those not in the Twitter world) and for yesterday’s game, Hartnell pledged $1000 for each time he went down.
The All-Star Game turned into a lucrative one for charity as he raised $4000 and Hartnell tells NHL.com’s Dave Lozo his teammates were more than eager to help him hit the ice.
“(Claude) Giroux was trying to trip me on the faceoffs,” Hartnell said. “He got me down during warmups once.”
It’s all fun and games during the All-Star Game, but doing little things like these as well as wearing a microphone during the game and giving Dion Phaneuf a piece of his mind will make Hartnell a cult hero in record time.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)