Jan 30, 2012, 8:16 AM EST
It’s possible you went into All-Star Weekend not caring much for Flyers forward Scott Hartnell. It’s even possible you disliked the guy a lot after seeing him beat your favorite team. One good way to win people over though is to do good things for those in need, and that’s just what he did during yesterday’s All-Star Game.
Hartnell has embraced a Twitter meme that counted up how many times he fell down during a game (#HartnellDown for those not in the Twitter world) and for yesterday’s game, Hartnell pledged $1000 for each time he went down.
The All-Star Game turned into a lucrative one for charity as he raised $4000 and Hartnell tells NHL.com’s Dave Lozo his teammates were more than eager to help him hit the ice.
“(Claude) Giroux was trying to trip me on the faceoffs,” Hartnell said. “He got me down during warmups once.”
It’s all fun and games during the All-Star Game, but doing little things like these as well as wearing a microphone during the game and giving Dion Phaneuf a piece of his mind will make Hartnell a cult hero in record time.
- Byfuglien out 2-4 weeks with upper-body injury; Little hurt, too 7
- Bettman concedes there are ‘some members of the NHL family who would like to see fewer shootouts’ 30
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 16
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 18
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 35
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32