Jan 30, 2012, 4:39 PM EDT
We’ve discussed doing NHL power rankings on PHT, but they take a lot of work, so every once in a while we’ll link to someone else’s power rankings and comment on those instead.
Today, we’re discussing Pat Leonard’s rankings at NYDailyNews.com:
A few thoughts:
—-Based on recent play, Nashville (9-1-0 in last 10 games) deserves to be in the No. 3 spot. Yes, even ahead of Boston and Vancouver. The Bruins have lost four of their last seven and the Canucks haven’t been particularly impressive since beating the B’s in that barnburner three weeks ago.
—-No real issue with the Rangers on top. If Detroit had beaten Montreal in its last game before the All-Star break for an eighth straight win (instead of getting blown out, 7-2), I’d have put the Red Wings first.
—-Ottawa at No. 9 is a real stretch. The Sens went into the All-Star break on a three-game losing streak. They’re also the only team in the NHL that’s played 52 games, so their 11th place in the overall standings is slightly deceiving.
—-The Kings at No. 18 is extremely unfair. In their last 18 games, they’ve only lost twice in regulation.
—-The Ducks are 8-1-1 in their last 10 games. I’d say they’re playing better than just Carolina and Edmonton.
—-Buffalo should be lower than No. 24, at least below the Ducks and Islanders. The Sabres have one regulation win in their last 10, a stretch that’s seen them score just 15 goals. And it’s not just their last 10 games — they’ve been awful since mid-December.
—-The Oilers are better than one team, and one team only.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (38)