Jan 30, 2012, 4:39 PM EST
We’ve discussed doing NHL power rankings on PHT, but they take a lot of work, so every once in a while we’ll link to someone else’s power rankings and comment on those instead.
Today, we’re discussing Pat Leonard’s rankings at NYDailyNews.com:
A few thoughts:
—-Based on recent play, Nashville (9-1-0 in last 10 games) deserves to be in the No. 3 spot. Yes, even ahead of Boston and Vancouver. The Bruins have lost four of their last seven and the Canucks haven’t been particularly impressive since beating the B’s in that barnburner three weeks ago.
—-No real issue with the Rangers on top. If Detroit had beaten Montreal in its last game before the All-Star break for an eighth straight win (instead of getting blown out, 7-2), I’d have put the Red Wings first.
—-Ottawa at No. 9 is a real stretch. The Sens went into the All-Star break on a three-game losing streak. They’re also the only team in the NHL that’s played 52 games, so their 11th place in the overall standings is slightly deceiving.
—-The Kings at No. 18 is extremely unfair. In their last 18 games, they’ve only lost twice in regulation.
—-The Ducks are 8-1-1 in their last 10 games. I’d say they’re playing better than just Carolina and Edmonton.
—-Buffalo should be lower than No. 24, at least below the Ducks and Islanders. The Sabres have one regulation win in their last 10, a stretch that’s seen them score just 15 goals. And it’s not just their last 10 games — they’ve been awful since mid-December.
—-The Oilers are better than one team, and one team only.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 27
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)