Jan 30, 2012, 4:39 PM EDT
We’ve discussed doing NHL power rankings on PHT, but they take a lot of work, so every once in a while we’ll link to someone else’s power rankings and comment on those instead.
Today, we’re discussing Pat Leonard’s rankings at NYDailyNews.com:
A few thoughts:
—-Based on recent play, Nashville (9-1-0 in last 10 games) deserves to be in the No. 3 spot. Yes, even ahead of Boston and Vancouver. The Bruins have lost four of their last seven and the Canucks haven’t been particularly impressive since beating the B’s in that barnburner three weeks ago.
—-No real issue with the Rangers on top. If Detroit had beaten Montreal in its last game before the All-Star break for an eighth straight win (instead of getting blown out, 7-2), I’d have put the Red Wings first.
—-Ottawa at No. 9 is a real stretch. The Sens went into the All-Star break on a three-game losing streak. They’re also the only team in the NHL that’s played 52 games, so their 11th place in the overall standings is slightly deceiving.
—-The Kings at No. 18 is extremely unfair. In their last 18 games, they’ve only lost twice in regulation.
—-The Ducks are 8-1-1 in their last 10 games. I’d say they’re playing better than just Carolina and Edmonton.
—-Buffalo should be lower than No. 24, at least below the Ducks and Islanders. The Sabres have one regulation win in their last 10, a stretch that’s seen them score just 15 goals. And it’s not just their last 10 games — they’ve been awful since mid-December.
—-The Oilers are better than one team, and one team only.
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 4
- NHL postpones Blue Jackets-Stars game following Peverley’s collapse 10
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 11
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 6
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 20
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 27
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)