Jan 30, 2012, 4:39 PM EDT
We’ve discussed doing NHL power rankings on PHT, but they take a lot of work, so every once in a while we’ll link to someone else’s power rankings and comment on those instead.
Today, we’re discussing Pat Leonard’s rankings at NYDailyNews.com:
A few thoughts:
—-Based on recent play, Nashville (9-1-0 in last 10 games) deserves to be in the No. 3 spot. Yes, even ahead of Boston and Vancouver. The Bruins have lost four of their last seven and the Canucks haven’t been particularly impressive since beating the B’s in that barnburner three weeks ago.
—-No real issue with the Rangers on top. If Detroit had beaten Montreal in its last game before the All-Star break for an eighth straight win (instead of getting blown out, 7-2), I’d have put the Red Wings first.
—-Ottawa at No. 9 is a real stretch. The Sens went into the All-Star break on a three-game losing streak. They’re also the only team in the NHL that’s played 52 games, so their 11th place in the overall standings is slightly deceiving.
—-The Kings at No. 18 is extremely unfair. In their last 18 games, they’ve only lost twice in regulation.
—-The Ducks are 8-1-1 in their last 10 games. I’d say they’re playing better than just Carolina and Edmonton.
—-Buffalo should be lower than No. 24, at least below the Ducks and Islanders. The Sabres have one regulation win in their last 10, a stretch that’s seen them score just 15 goals. And it’s not just their last 10 games — they’ve been awful since mid-December.
—-The Oilers are better than one team, and one team only.
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 14
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 21
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 62
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 85
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 9
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 53
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights