Jack Todd’s column looks a little different today

Jan 30, 2012, 12:15 PM EDT

Tim Thomas Getty Images

The Montreal Gazette would like to apologize for posting an unedited version of a Jack Todd column.

And what was the part of Todd’s column that shouldn’t have been published? Yeah, it was the part where Todd wrote that Boston goalie Tim Thomas skipped a team visit to the White House because President Barack Obama is black.

In fact, that part’s been cut entirely.

The part where Todd calls Thomas a “cretin” with “the class of a swamp-rat” remains, however.

1. dmacirish - Jan 30, 2012 at 12:31 PM

flyers fan here so little if any biased. the tim thomas vs white house thing has been beaten to death but this is the first idiot journalist and tabloid publication (yes sarcasm towards the montreal gazette) which would step onto that line. please make sure their next article is on harrison being racist because he skipped it in 2009 – wait he is black to. well i am sure he is still racist because he skipped in 2006 and gwb was white. wait no, no i have it wrong. bush was racist for not inviting harrison with the rest of the steelers. unless he did invite him. shoot now i am confused. yeah i would have to agree with them – tim thomas must be racist because that seems to make the most sense. (again significant amount of sarcasm being applied)
    it is pretty serious offense for the paper to let one of their writers accuse someone of being a racist, i would expect some serious apologies coming forth.

2. imleftcoast - Jan 30, 2012 at 12:58 PM

It’s not fair for a newspaper to speculate. On the other hand, it’s only slander if it’s not true.

• oscojoe - Jan 30, 2012 at 1:06 PM

How do you disprove a negative? This is the Obama team in action trying to garner sympathy and make anyone who is not for him get toasted in the public eye.

• imleftcoast - Jan 30, 2012 at 1:23 PM

The Obama team is controlling Canadian newspapers? Get a grip.

• revansrevenant - Jan 30, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Actually, when it’s in print, it’s libel.

• imleftcoast - Jan 30, 2012 at 7:34 PM

It’s all defamation to me. Good catch.

3. gnazarov - Jan 30, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Whatever, I’m sick of this story. I wouldn’t go to the white house either, regardless of who was in office. Bush sucked, Obama sucks, and the next guy will suck just as bad. The problem in this country is for some odd reason we are conditioned to think and believe that politicians deserve some sort of dignity and respect and we should look up to them. Doesn’t matter if the person has a “D” or an “R” after his or her name, they really are just scumbags and should never be respected. I would love it if one day in society we began to teach our children to distrust all politicians, to never take anything they say serious, and to channel their respect and admiration to individuals in society that actually deserve it and actually contribute in some way to improving our society and culture. I champion what Mr. Thomas did in holding strong and not caring about showing respect to “the office.” I just hope he would’ve done the exact same thing if it were a republican in there as well. But how this will affect relations in the locker room for Boston, now that remains to be seen.

• kellyb9 - Jan 30, 2012 at 1:59 PM

I think your nuts… I think Thomas is a little crazy too. Not because of his beliefs or anything like that, I would absolutely go to the White House because of the history of the people that have held the office and, well, basically the building itself. Even the official tours of the building are really, really limited, but I guess I’m a history buff.

4. npavla - Jan 30, 2012 at 1:31 PM

The Gazette is such a third rate paper, they still have the original version posted on their website, they forgot to take it down!

5. spiffy53 - Jan 30, 2012 at 1:51 PM

this whole episode has brought out the worst in everyone. from tim thomas to this writer -and including many posters on the subject of tim thomas (including myself). sports should be an escape, not a reminder.

6. broadstbully33 - Jan 30, 2012 at 2:00 PM

at least its not another cindy crybaby story

7. dougr42 - Jan 30, 2012 at 2:20 PM

How come no one is writing about how the Canadian hockey media is trying to comment on the American politics of an American player? Are Canadian hockey writers jealous or just stupid?

• Jason Brough - Jan 30, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Maybe because there’s nothing wrong with Canadians commenting on American politics?

• barkar942 - Jan 30, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Does Canada have any politicians for writers to comment “aboot”?
        I thought that the Queen Mum runs the show in Canada!

I have a better idea than talking about this any more…
        Everyone on here that has commented on this whole topic that is not registered to vote should immediately go register and do all of your armchair politicking at the voting booth!

8. vipod4ever - Jan 30, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Jack Todd has always been a third rate writer. He lost a “page 1″ feature column a few years ago, and now this…I hope Thomas takes my former hometown paper to letigation.

9. norcalirish - Jan 31, 2012 at 7:04 AM

Holy shit….gnazarov, nicely done, great post. I almost completely agree, save for the fact that I would have gone to the white house to take pictures regardless. But your point about not respecting politicians is DEAD ON.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches