Jan 30, 2012, 3:58 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils have upgraded Steve Bernier’s AHL contract to a two-way deal, meaning the 26-year-old winger will be eligible to join the club.
“He’s still on the same American League contract. We switched it to the minimum NHL so he could be called up and down,” Devils GM Lou Lamoriello told The Star-Ledger. “He still has a two-way for the same $105,000 (minor league) salary. We would’ve done this a couple months ago but he broke his hand.”
Bernier had originally turned down a similar two-way deal from New Jersey after attending training camp, only to
come crawling back accept an AHL contract with Albany a month later. Now with Adam Henrique (groin) and Travis Zajac (ankle) on the limp, Bernier’s journey back to the NHL could be close to complete.
And what a journey it’s been. His career began promisingly in San Jose — he had 14 goals and 27 points in 39 games as a rookie — but started to decline after being traded to Buffalo…then further declined after going to Vancouver…then bottomed out completely after being traded to Florida (the Panthers let Bernier walk after his contract expired.)
Bernier was a highly touted prospect in the first round of the 2003 NHL draft. That’s noteworthy, because the first round of the 2003 draft is considered one of the best of all time — notable selections include Marc-Andre Fleury, Eric Staal, Nathan Horton, Thomas Vanek, Milan Michalek, Ryan Suter, Braydon Coburn, Dion Phaneuf, Andrei Kostitsyn, Jeff Carter, Dustin Brown and Brent Seabrook.
All of whom went ahead of Bernier, taken 16th overall.
Those that went after Bernier?
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 1
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 19
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 43
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 75
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks