Jan 30, 2012, 2:01 PM EST
The Flames and Jets swapped minor-leaguers on Monday, with Winnipeg sending forward Akim Aliu to Calgary in exchange for John Negrin. The trade is a bit of a curious one as both players currently play for AHL Abbotsford — Aliu was on loan from the Jets organization.
For someone that’s yet to play an NHL game, Aliu is well known throughout the league. While playing for OHL Windsor in 2005, Aliu engaged in a highly-publicized fight with teammate Steve Downie, an incident that stemmed from Aliu’s refusal to take part in a hazing incident on the Spitfires team bus.
Aliu was suspended one game for the fight, Downie five — the incident also ended up costing head coach Moe Mantha his job.
Professionally, Aliu has bounced around an awful lot (especially for a 22-year-old.) He’s played in Rockford, Toledo, Chicago, Gwinnett, Peioria, Colorado, St. John’s and now Abbotsford.
Negrin, also 22, has three games of NHL experience to his credit, all with the Flames. He was taken 70th overall at the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, 14 spots after Aliu.
(Photo courtesy Windsor Star)
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 0
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 13
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (68)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)