Jan 30, 2012, 2:01 PM EDT
The Flames and Jets swapped minor-leaguers on Monday, with Winnipeg sending forward Akim Aliu to Calgary in exchange for John Negrin. The trade is a bit of a curious one as both players currently play for AHL Abbotsford — Aliu was on loan from the Jets organization.
For someone that’s yet to play an NHL game, Aliu is well known throughout the league. While playing for OHL Windsor in 2005, Aliu engaged in a highly-publicized fight with teammate Steve Downie, an incident that stemmed from Aliu’s refusal to take part in a hazing incident on the Spitfires team bus.
Aliu was suspended one game for the fight, Downie five — the incident also ended up costing head coach Moe Mantha his job.
Professionally, Aliu has bounced around an awful lot (especially for a 22-year-old.) He’s played in Rockford, Toledo, Chicago, Gwinnett, Peioria, Colorado, St. John’s and now Abbotsford.
Negrin, also 22, has three games of NHL experience to his credit, all with the Flames. He was taken 70th overall at the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, 14 spots after Aliu.
(Photo courtesy Windsor Star)
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)