Jan 30, 2012, 2:01 PM EST
The Flames and Jets swapped minor-leaguers on Monday, with Winnipeg sending forward Akim Aliu to Calgary in exchange for John Negrin. The trade is a bit of a curious one as both players currently play for AHL Abbotsford — Aliu was on loan from the Jets organization.
For someone that’s yet to play an NHL game, Aliu is well known throughout the league. While playing for OHL Windsor in 2005, Aliu engaged in a highly-publicized fight with teammate Steve Downie, an incident that stemmed from Aliu’s refusal to take part in a hazing incident on the Spitfires team bus.
Aliu was suspended one game for the fight, Downie five — the incident also ended up costing head coach Moe Mantha his job.
Professionally, Aliu has bounced around an awful lot (especially for a 22-year-old.) He’s played in Rockford, Toledo, Chicago, Gwinnett, Peioria, Colorado, St. John’s and now Abbotsford.
Negrin, also 22, has three games of NHL experience to his credit, all with the Flames. He was taken 70th overall at the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, 14 spots after Aliu.
(Photo courtesy Windsor Star)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 2
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 19
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 27
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 9
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 35
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)