Jan 30, 2012, 2:48 PM EST
With no shortage of cap space and a good shot to win the Stanley Cup, Detroit should be an active participant in the trade market as the Feb. 27 deadline approaches.
So, what kind of player could the Red Wings use? Coach Mike Babcock has a few suggestions for GM Ken Holland.
“To me, if we could get another heavy winger, or heavy forward, or D — those would all be good things to help you,” Babcock said, as reported by the Detroit News. “I put together a wish list every year, this time of year, and then management does what they can do.”
One name that’s been linked to the Red Wings is Montreal winger Travis Moen. The 29-year-old pending UFA who won a Cup with the 2007 Ducks is presumably the type of player Babcock wants.
And here’s another thing to consider about Moen – he’s one of the key forwards on the Canadiens’ league-best penalty kill, one of the few areas where the Wings have struggled.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)