Jan 30, 2012, 10:07 PM EDT
When word surfaced that Jonathan Toews was dealing with an upper-body injury last week, I could just imagine coach Joel Quenneville whispering in his captain’s ear:
“Skip the All-Star Game so you can be fresh against the Vancouver Canucks.”
(Note: I also imagine Quenneville combing his mustache while saying this, so my imagination might not be aligned with reality here.)
Naturally, as big as that game might be, it’s still just one of 82. There’s no guarantee that a practice appearance means these players will be ready for game time, but CSNChicago.com’s Tracey Myers reports that Toews and fellow stud Patrick Sharp skated with the team on Monday.
Sharp has missed three weeks with a wrist injury while the rumor is that Toews’ injury might be hand-related, as well. If those two forwards do return, the Blackhawks will be a dramatically deeper team on Tuesday considering the fact that Brendan Morrison is primed to make his debut with Chicago too.
It’s silly to say that it’s all about Vancouver considering that tomorrow’s match against the Canucks is just the first obstacle in a grueling nine-game, nearly three-week-long road trip, but it’s just plain fun to think of it as an epic battle anyway.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 40
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)