Jan 29, 2012, 10:12 AM EDT
Bruins coach Claude Julien and Maple Leafs forward Phil Kessel have an awkward history. When Kessel was a member of the Bruins, his clashes with Julien wound up helping get Kessel out of Boston and off to Toronto in one of the most memorable trades in recent history.
The other side of that though is that the two never buried the hatchet after parting ways. That is until this weekend in Ottawa at the All-Star Game. CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty gets the scoop on how the two former head-butters put the past behind them.
“The years go by and it’s always nice to see those guys again. I had a really good conversation with Phil yesterday. He’s obviously excited and loves where he is,” said Julien. “That’s what it’s all about. We obviously lost a good player, but it was a trade that had to be made. In return we got a couple of good players, so it worked out for both sides.”
As for Kessel, growing up was hard to do but what Julien was doing then makes all the sense in the world now.
“I have a lot of respect for what he’s done. He’s a good coach and a good guy. I understand some of the things [Julien] did now. When I was there I was young. I wanted to play and help.”
Kessel gets to be coached by Julien one more time this afternoon and Kessel says he’s excited for the whole thing. With the way Boston fans hammer on Kessel now including thanking him every time Tyler Seguin pots a goal, at least it’s nice to see bygones be bygones between the two guys that made one incredible trade a necessity.
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 0
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 45
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)