Jan 29, 2012, 10:12 AM EDT
Bruins coach Claude Julien and Maple Leafs forward Phil Kessel have an awkward history. When Kessel was a member of the Bruins, his clashes with Julien wound up helping get Kessel out of Boston and off to Toronto in one of the most memorable trades in recent history.
The other side of that though is that the two never buried the hatchet after parting ways. That is until this weekend in Ottawa at the All-Star Game. CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty gets the scoop on how the two former head-butters put the past behind them.
“The years go by and it’s always nice to see those guys again. I had a really good conversation with Phil yesterday. He’s obviously excited and loves where he is,” said Julien. “That’s what it’s all about. We obviously lost a good player, but it was a trade that had to be made. In return we got a couple of good players, so it worked out for both sides.”
As for Kessel, growing up was hard to do but what Julien was doing then makes all the sense in the world now.
“I have a lot of respect for what he’s done. He’s a good coach and a good guy. I understand some of the things [Julien] did now. When I was there I was young. I wanted to play and help.”
Kessel gets to be coached by Julien one more time this afternoon and Kessel says he’s excited for the whole thing. With the way Boston fans hammer on Kessel now including thanking him every time Tyler Seguin pots a goal, at least it’s nice to see bygones be bygones between the two guys that made one incredible trade a necessity.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 4
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 18
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 44
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 46
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38