Jan 29, 2012, 10:12 AM EST
Bruins coach Claude Julien and Maple Leafs forward Phil Kessel have an awkward history. When Kessel was a member of the Bruins, his clashes with Julien wound up helping get Kessel out of Boston and off to Toronto in one of the most memorable trades in recent history.
The other side of that though is that the two never buried the hatchet after parting ways. That is until this weekend in Ottawa at the All-Star Game. CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty gets the scoop on how the two former head-butters put the past behind them.
“The years go by and it’s always nice to see those guys again. I had a really good conversation with Phil yesterday. He’s obviously excited and loves where he is,” said Julien. “That’s what it’s all about. We obviously lost a good player, but it was a trade that had to be made. In return we got a couple of good players, so it worked out for both sides.”
As for Kessel, growing up was hard to do but what Julien was doing then makes all the sense in the world now.
“I have a lot of respect for what he’s done. He’s a good coach and a good guy. I understand some of the things [Julien] did now. When I was there I was young. I wanted to play and help.”
Kessel gets to be coached by Julien one more time this afternoon and Kessel says he’s excited for the whole thing. With the way Boston fans hammer on Kessel now including thanking him every time Tyler Seguin pots a goal, at least it’s nice to see bygones be bygones between the two guys that made one incredible trade a necessity.
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 0
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 21
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 27
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 63
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)