Jan 29, 2012, 10:12 AM EDT
Bruins coach Claude Julien and Maple Leafs forward Phil Kessel have an awkward history. When Kessel was a member of the Bruins, his clashes with Julien wound up helping get Kessel out of Boston and off to Toronto in one of the most memorable trades in recent history.
The other side of that though is that the two never buried the hatchet after parting ways. That is until this weekend in Ottawa at the All-Star Game. CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty gets the scoop on how the two former head-butters put the past behind them.
“The years go by and it’s always nice to see those guys again. I had a really good conversation with Phil yesterday. He’s obviously excited and loves where he is,” said Julien. “That’s what it’s all about. We obviously lost a good player, but it was a trade that had to be made. In return we got a couple of good players, so it worked out for both sides.”
As for Kessel, growing up was hard to do but what Julien was doing then makes all the sense in the world now.
“I have a lot of respect for what he’s done. He’s a good coach and a good guy. I understand some of the things [Julien] did now. When I was there I was young. I wanted to play and help.”
Kessel gets to be coached by Julien one more time this afternoon and Kessel says he’s excited for the whole thing. With the way Boston fans hammer on Kessel now including thanking him every time Tyler Seguin pots a goal, at least it’s nice to see bygones be bygones between the two guys that made one incredible trade a necessity.
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 0
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 4
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 6
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 22
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 54
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)