Jan 29, 2012, 10:12 AM EST
Bruins coach Claude Julien and Maple Leafs forward Phil Kessel have an awkward history. When Kessel was a member of the Bruins, his clashes with Julien wound up helping get Kessel out of Boston and off to Toronto in one of the most memorable trades in recent history.
The other side of that though is that the two never buried the hatchet after parting ways. That is until this weekend in Ottawa at the All-Star Game. CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty gets the scoop on how the two former head-butters put the past behind them.
“The years go by and it’s always nice to see those guys again. I had a really good conversation with Phil yesterday. He’s obviously excited and loves where he is,” said Julien. “That’s what it’s all about. We obviously lost a good player, but it was a trade that had to be made. In return we got a couple of good players, so it worked out for both sides.”
As for Kessel, growing up was hard to do but what Julien was doing then makes all the sense in the world now.
“I have a lot of respect for what he’s done. He’s a good coach and a good guy. I understand some of the things [Julien] did now. When I was there I was young. I wanted to play and help.”
Kessel gets to be coached by Julien one more time this afternoon and Kessel says he’s excited for the whole thing. With the way Boston fans hammer on Kessel now including thanking him every time Tyler Seguin pots a goal, at least it’s nice to see bygones be bygones between the two guys that made one incredible trade a necessity.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)