Jan 29, 2012, 9:28 PM EDT
Throw a bunch of hockey reporters together in a cold city in late January, add a steady stream of cocktails, and what do you get?
Besides a bunch of poorly dressed drunk guys, you get trade gossip.
According to the Boston Globe, the hottest rumor of the All-Star weekend in Ottawa was the one we passed along Friday that had Anaheim’s Corey Perry going to the Canucks for Cory Schneider, Mason Raymond and Keith Ballard.
But that wasn’t the only salacious bit of speculation making the rounds, writes the Globe.
Another one had the Bruins dishing Tim Thomas to Chicago. Perhaps that could be the University of Vermont special, with the Bruins sending their ex-Catamount to the Hawks for former Catamount Viktor Stalberg.
Now, the key to a good rumor is a measure of believability. So we ask, is this one believable?
Well, in the wake of the White House snub, it’s been reported that Thomas isn’t the most popular guy in the Bruins’ dressing room.
And Tuukka Rask would be a starter on almost any other team in the NHL.
And the Blackhawks aren’t exactly getting great goaltending out of Corey Crawford.
And Chicago has plenty of cap space.
So yeah, it’s believable. But then, so are UFOs. Thomas won the Vezina and Conn Smythe last season, and teams don’t like to trade goalies with that on their resumes. Not for Viktor Stalberg anyway.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 11
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)