Jan 29, 2012, 9:28 PM EDT
Throw a bunch of hockey reporters together in a cold city in late January, add a steady stream of cocktails, and what do you get?
Besides a bunch of poorly dressed drunk guys, you get trade gossip.
According to the Boston Globe, the hottest rumor of the All-Star weekend in Ottawa was the one we passed along Friday that had Anaheim’s Corey Perry going to the Canucks for Cory Schneider, Mason Raymond and Keith Ballard.
But that wasn’t the only salacious bit of speculation making the rounds, writes the Globe.
Another one had the Bruins dishing Tim Thomas to Chicago. Perhaps that could be the University of Vermont special, with the Bruins sending their ex-Catamount to the Hawks for former Catamount Viktor Stalberg.
Now, the key to a good rumor is a measure of believability. So we ask, is this one believable?
Well, in the wake of the White House snub, it’s been reported that Thomas isn’t the most popular guy in the Bruins’ dressing room.
And Tuukka Rask would be a starter on almost any other team in the NHL.
And the Blackhawks aren’t exactly getting great goaltending out of Corey Crawford.
And Chicago has plenty of cap space.
So yeah, it’s believable. But then, so are UFOs. Thomas won the Vezina and Conn Smythe last season, and teams don’t like to trade goalies with that on their resumes. Not for Viktor Stalberg anyway.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)