Jan 29, 2012, 9:28 PM EDT
Throw a bunch of hockey reporters together in a cold city in late January, add a steady stream of cocktails, and what do you get?
Besides a bunch of poorly dressed drunk guys, you get trade gossip.
According to the Boston Globe, the hottest rumor of the All-Star weekend in Ottawa was the one we passed along Friday that had Anaheim’s Corey Perry going to the Canucks for Cory Schneider, Mason Raymond and Keith Ballard.
But that wasn’t the only salacious bit of speculation making the rounds, writes the Globe.
Another one had the Bruins dishing Tim Thomas to Chicago. Perhaps that could be the University of Vermont special, with the Bruins sending their ex-Catamount to the Hawks for former Catamount Viktor Stalberg.
Now, the key to a good rumor is a measure of believability. So we ask, is this one believable?
Well, in the wake of the White House snub, it’s been reported that Thomas isn’t the most popular guy in the Bruins’ dressing room.
And Tuukka Rask would be a starter on almost any other team in the NHL.
And the Blackhawks aren’t exactly getting great goaltending out of Corey Crawford.
And Chicago has plenty of cap space.
So yeah, it’s believable. But then, so are UFOs. Thomas won the Vezina and Conn Smythe last season, and teams don’t like to trade goalies with that on their resumes. Not for Viktor Stalberg anyway.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 9
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 20
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 91
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 35
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (93)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)