Jan 29, 2012, 9:28 PM EST
Throw a bunch of hockey reporters together in a cold city in late January, add a steady stream of cocktails, and what do you get?
Besides a bunch of poorly dressed drunk guys, you get trade gossip.
According to the Boston Globe, the hottest rumor of the All-Star weekend in Ottawa was the one we passed along Friday that had Anaheim’s Corey Perry going to the Canucks for Cory Schneider, Mason Raymond and Keith Ballard.
But that wasn’t the only salacious bit of speculation making the rounds, writes the Globe.
Another one had the Bruins dishing Tim Thomas to Chicago. Perhaps that could be the University of Vermont special, with the Bruins sending their ex-Catamount to the Hawks for former Catamount Viktor Stalberg.
Now, the key to a good rumor is a measure of believability. So we ask, is this one believable?
Well, in the wake of the White House snub, it’s been reported that Thomas isn’t the most popular guy in the Bruins’ dressing room.
And Tuukka Rask would be a starter on almost any other team in the NHL.
And the Blackhawks aren’t exactly getting great goaltending out of Corey Crawford.
And Chicago has plenty of cap space.
So yeah, it’s believable. But then, so are UFOs. Thomas won the Vezina and Conn Smythe last season, and teams don’t like to trade goalies with that on their resumes. Not for Viktor Stalberg anyway.
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 21
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 36
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 58
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 33
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 56
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 165
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (165)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand (61)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)