Jan 29, 2012, 9:28 PM EST
Throw a bunch of hockey reporters together in a cold city in late January, add a steady stream of cocktails, and what do you get?
Besides a bunch of poorly dressed drunk guys, you get trade gossip.
According to the Boston Globe, the hottest rumor of the All-Star weekend in Ottawa was the one we passed along Friday that had Anaheim’s Corey Perry going to the Canucks for Cory Schneider, Mason Raymond and Keith Ballard.
But that wasn’t the only salacious bit of speculation making the rounds, writes the Globe.
Another one had the Bruins dishing Tim Thomas to Chicago. Perhaps that could be the University of Vermont special, with the Bruins sending their ex-Catamount to the Hawks for former Catamount Viktor Stalberg.
Now, the key to a good rumor is a measure of believability. So we ask, is this one believable?
Well, in the wake of the White House snub, it’s been reported that Thomas isn’t the most popular guy in the Bruins’ dressing room.
And Tuukka Rask would be a starter on almost any other team in the NHL.
And the Blackhawks aren’t exactly getting great goaltending out of Corey Crawford.
And Chicago has plenty of cap space.
So yeah, it’s believable. But then, so are UFOs. Thomas won the Vezina and Conn Smythe last season, and teams don’t like to trade goalies with that on their resumes. Not for Viktor Stalberg anyway.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 18
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 32
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)