Jan 29, 2012, 2:21 PM EDT
The Blue Jackets have had their fair share of issues this season and one of the biggest one surrounds starting goalie Steve Mason. Mason has been bad yet again this season and without getting steady goaltending (among other things), the Blue Jackets have been buried at the bottom of the Western Conference.
According to Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal, the Jackets would like to alleviate their situation with Mason by dealing him. As Matheson shares, doing that could prove to be awfully difficult for GM Scott Howson.
The Columbus Blue Jackets want to unload goalie Steve Mason, but with one more year at $3.2 million and his game in tatters, the market for the former rookie-of-the-year is about .08 on a 1-to-10 scale. A better bet is they put him on waivers and a team gets him at half price on re-entry.
Mason is at his lowest possible value and swinging a deal for him won’t give Columbus much in return. Trying to float him through waivers only gets them relief from his salary. In other words, Columbus is kind of stuck.
Going through all that effort at this point in the season could prove to be more trouble than it’s worth. Looking at the crop of free agent goalies for the summer doesn’t offer much hope. Unless the Blue Jackets are going to shake things up on the restricted free agent market, going after guys like Tomas Vokoun or Scott Clemmensen doesn’t offer much hope for the future.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (83)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)