Jan 29, 2012, 2:21 PM EDT
The Blue Jackets have had their fair share of issues this season and one of the biggest one surrounds starting goalie Steve Mason. Mason has been bad yet again this season and without getting steady goaltending (among other things), the Blue Jackets have been buried at the bottom of the Western Conference.
According to Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal, the Jackets would like to alleviate their situation with Mason by dealing him. As Matheson shares, doing that could prove to be awfully difficult for GM Scott Howson.
The Columbus Blue Jackets want to unload goalie Steve Mason, but with one more year at $3.2 million and his game in tatters, the market for the former rookie-of-the-year is about .08 on a 1-to-10 scale. A better bet is they put him on waivers and a team gets him at half price on re-entry.
Mason is at his lowest possible value and swinging a deal for him won’t give Columbus much in return. Trying to float him through waivers only gets them relief from his salary. In other words, Columbus is kind of stuck.
Going through all that effort at this point in the season could prove to be more trouble than it’s worth. Looking at the crop of free agent goalies for the summer doesn’t offer much hope. Unless the Blue Jackets are going to shake things up on the restricted free agent market, going after guys like Tomas Vokoun or Scott Clemmensen doesn’t offer much hope for the future.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (37)