Jan 29, 2012, 1:04 PM EDT
When Brian Burke has complaints about something, you’re going to hear about it. When he’s got a beef with CBC’s Don Cherry, that’s grounds for a titanic media blow up.
That’s apparently what’s going on in Toronto now as Joe Warmington of the Toronto Sun reports that Burke is tired of hearing Cherry dog his Maple Leafs during his weekly appearances on Hockey Night in Canada. Warmington hears of Burke’s complaints through an inside source and about Cherry’s complaints about coach Ron Wilson in particular.
An insider told QMI Agency Burke is tired of Cherry criticizing his team — in particular, his coach — and he is contemplating asking for a meeting with CBC brass to complain.
Ripping a team and ripping a coach over just about anything would get any team executive rankled. When it’s Brian Burke, that’s a much bigger deal.
As for Cherry, he tells Tim Baines of the Ottawa Sun that the whole feud is “sad.”
“Brian Burke does not like what I say about the Leafs. But what am I supposed to say about them? They haven’t made the playoffs in (seven) years. I say what I mean and I mean what I say. I guess he doesn’t like it. But I am what I am.”
Burke says that while others don’t criticize Burke, he tells it how it is. As of the All-Star break, the Leafs are eighth in the Eastern Conference and tied with New Jersey with 55 points. The easiest way to make all this nonsense stop is to have the Leafs make the playoffs and maybe make a run, but for Cherry we all know that won’t stop him from sounding off.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)