Jan 28, 2012, 9:48 PM EST
Chara, who has now won the last five hardest shot events, defeated Nashville defenseman Shea Weber in the final. Weber recorded blasts of 104.9 and 106 mph — the latter also breaking Chara’s old record of 105.9 — but couldn’t top the 6-foot-9 Slovakian rearguard, who wowed the Scotiabank Center crowd with an absolute bomb in the opening round:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Chara’s lazer wasn’t the only one stunning the largely pro-Ottawa crowd. A pair of Senators — Daniel Alfredsson and Jason Spezza — both clocked triple digits on their shots, much to the surprise of those in attendance. Spezza slammed a 100.5 mph shot into the cage while Alfredsson, Ottawa’s 39-year-old captain, hit 101.3 on the gun.
In the rookie battle, Buffalo’s Luke Adam (98.3) beat Carolina’s Justin Falk (95.9). Alfredsson defeated Washington’s Dennis Wideman (95.3) in his head-to-head matchup while Spezza pulled somewhat of an upset in defeating Toronto’s Dion Phaneuf, who owns one of the hardest shots in the game.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (68)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)