Jan 28, 2012, 2:20 PM EST
While the Devils are succeeding on the ice, off of it things aren’t going quite as smoothly.
NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman confirmed during his All-Star Game press conference that the Devils’ split ownership between Jeff Vanderbeek and Ray Chambers is having some problems. Vanderbeek is happy owning the Devils while Chambers is looking for a way out.
“It’s no secret the current owners haven’t seen eye-to-eye,” Bettman said. When asked about the financial stability of the team that’s had rumors of the NHL giving them cash to keep things rolling along this year, Bettman added: “Fair to say the club is stable, but ownership isn’t getting along.”
While Bettman avoided answering about league assistance, NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly confirmed to The Canadian Press’ Chris Johnston that the league has advanced the Devils money to help meet ends while their ownership continues to squabble.
With the Devils having financial questions, the future of impending free agent and team captain Zach Parise is in doubt. Devils GM Lou Lamoriello would love to keep Parise in New Jersey, but with a potentially monster contract to be negotiated on this summer and things being unsettled financially, the Devils could wind up being forced to move him.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)