Jan 28, 2012, 11:54 PM EST
On Thursday night, Daniel Alfredsson‘s GM skills were called into question during the All-Star Fantasy Draft.
On Saturday night, Alfie’s picks made a lot of sense.
Team Alfredsson put forth a commanding performance at the 2012 All-Star Skills competition, beating Team Chara by a 21-12 score.
Alfredsson built his team largely on Senators teammates and fellow Swedes, which included his first-round selection, Erik Karlsson. That was in stark contrast to Chara, who loaded up early in the draft — Pavel Datsyuk, Evgeni Malkin and Marian Hossa were among his first four picks — and seemed to take the GM gig quite seriously. (“When his playing days are over, he may want to get into NHL management, so this is good training for him,” said his agent, Matt Keator.)
As for the competition itself:
– Team Alfredsson beat Team Chara in the skills challenge relay.
– And, in an impressive performance, Tampa Bay Lightning sniper Steve Stamkos went three-for-three to win the elimination shootout:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Stamkos also impressed during the skills challenge replay, hammering one-timers into the net from acute angles.
“You kind of incorporate everything into that with one-timers, passing, accuracy and stick-handling and mobility,” Stamkos told NHL.com. “It’s kind of all the aspects that you need to be a successful hockey player in the NHL.
“It gives the fans something to look forward to and for the guys it allows everyone to get involved.”
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 0
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 3
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 7
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 9
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 10
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 21
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 21
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 43
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)