Jan 28, 2012, 11:54 PM EST
On Thursday night, Daniel Alfredsson‘s GM skills were called into question during the All-Star Fantasy Draft.
On Saturday night, Alfie’s picks made a lot of sense.
Team Alfredsson put forth a commanding performance at the 2012 All-Star Skills competition, beating Team Chara by a 21-12 score.
Alfredsson built his team largely on Senators teammates and fellow Swedes, which included his first-round selection, Erik Karlsson. That was in stark contrast to Chara, who loaded up early in the draft — Pavel Datsyuk, Evgeni Malkin and Marian Hossa were among his first four picks — and seemed to take the GM gig quite seriously. (“When his playing days are over, he may want to get into NHL management, so this is good training for him,” said his agent, Matt Keator.)
As for the competition itself:
— Team Alfredsson beat Team Chara in the skills challenge relay.
— And, in an impressive performance, Tampa Bay Lightning sniper Steve Stamkos went three-for-three to win the elimination shootout:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Stamkos also impressed during the skills challenge replay, hammering one-timers into the net from acute angles.
“You kind of incorporate everything into that with one-timers, passing, accuracy and stick-handling and mobility,” Stamkos told NHL.com. “It’s kind of all the aspects that you need to be a successful hockey player in the NHL.
“It gives the fans something to look forward to and for the guys it allows everyone to get involved.”
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 10
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 28
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 15
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 27
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 11
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 45
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 44
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 14
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 64
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 45
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (168)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)