Jan 28, 2012, 11:54 PM EDT
On Thursday night, Daniel Alfredsson‘s GM skills were called into question during the All-Star Fantasy Draft.
On Saturday night, Alfie’s picks made a lot of sense.
Team Alfredsson put forth a commanding performance at the 2012 All-Star Skills competition, beating Team Chara by a 21-12 score.
Alfredsson built his team largely on Senators teammates and fellow Swedes, which included his first-round selection, Erik Karlsson. That was in stark contrast to Chara, who loaded up early in the draft — Pavel Datsyuk, Evgeni Malkin and Marian Hossa were among his first four picks — and seemed to take the GM gig quite seriously. (“When his playing days are over, he may want to get into NHL management, so this is good training for him,” said his agent, Matt Keator.)
As for the competition itself:
— Team Alfredsson beat Team Chara in the skills challenge relay.
— And, in an impressive performance, Tampa Bay Lightning sniper Steve Stamkos went three-for-three to win the elimination shootout:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Stamkos also impressed during the skills challenge replay, hammering one-timers into the net from acute angles.
“You kind of incorporate everything into that with one-timers, passing, accuracy and stick-handling and mobility,” Stamkos told NHL.com. “It’s kind of all the aspects that you need to be a successful hockey player in the NHL.
“It gives the fans something to look forward to and for the guys it allows everyone to get involved.”
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 11
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)