Jan 28, 2012, 11:54 PM EDT
On Thursday night, Daniel Alfredsson‘s GM skills were called into question during the All-Star Fantasy Draft.
On Saturday night, Alfie’s picks made a lot of sense.
Team Alfredsson put forth a commanding performance at the 2012 All-Star Skills competition, beating Team Chara by a 21-12 score.
Alfredsson built his team largely on Senators teammates and fellow Swedes, which included his first-round selection, Erik Karlsson. That was in stark contrast to Chara, who loaded up early in the draft — Pavel Datsyuk, Evgeni Malkin and Marian Hossa were among his first four picks — and seemed to take the GM gig quite seriously. (“When his playing days are over, he may want to get into NHL management, so this is good training for him,” said his agent, Matt Keator.)
As for the competition itself:
— Team Alfredsson beat Team Chara in the skills challenge relay.
— And, in an impressive performance, Tampa Bay Lightning sniper Steve Stamkos went three-for-three to win the elimination shootout:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Stamkos also impressed during the skills challenge replay, hammering one-timers into the net from acute angles.
“You kind of incorporate everything into that with one-timers, passing, accuracy and stick-handling and mobility,” Stamkos told NHL.com. “It’s kind of all the aspects that you need to be a successful hockey player in the NHL.
“It gives the fans something to look forward to and for the guys it allows everyone to get involved.”
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 5
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)