Jan 28, 2012, 8:30 PM EDT
Dallas Stars leading scorer Jamie Benn captured the third event of the 2012 NHL All-Star skills competition — the accuracy shooting contest. Benn was one of eight players that participated head-to-head in the opening round and by posting one of the fastest times, he moved on to face (and defeat) Philadelphia rookie Matt Read in the final.
Matt Read (Team Alfredsson) def. Cody Hodgson (Team Chara)
Jamie Benn (Team Chara) def. Steve Stamkos (Team Alfredsson)
Matt Read and Jamie Benn posted the two fastest times and advanced to the final.
Team Chara’s Jamie Benn (10.204) def. Team Alfredsson’s Matt Read (16.361)
Benn was the unquestioned star of the event, registering the two fastest times (he hit all four opening-round targets in 13.583 seconds) of the competition.
Here’s video of his impressive display:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The 22-year-old Dallas sniper has 13 goals in 43 games this year after scoring 22 in each of his first two NHL seasons.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5