Jan 28, 2012, 5:36 PM EDT
We all know how bad things have been for the Buffalo Sabres this season. They’re sitting last in the Eastern Conference, they’re getting their only solid production out of Jason Pominville and Thomas Vanek, and the fans are ready to revolt.
John Vogl of the Buffalo News hears from Sabres team president Ted Black about how even if the Sabres were made up of legends in their worst years they’d still struggle.
“It’s a tough year,” Black said. “Guys are just on pace to have career-low years in key categories such as goals. If you had a team that had Lemieux, Gretzky, Orr and Howe, and imported their worst statistical years, you’d probably have a team that wasn’t going to make the playoffs. There’s no slight to those great players, the fact is every player has a career-best year, and every player has a career-worst year.
“Unfortunately, we’ve got a lot of guys that are on track to have their worst year on the same team in the same year.”
Rack up what Ryan Miller, Derek Roy, Drew Stafford, Brad Boyes, and just about anyone else on the Sabres roster is doing and Black has a point. If you think that either Darcy Regier or Lindy Ruff will pay for these struggles with their jobs, Black says that won’t be the case.
Sorry bloodthirsty Sabres fans, it looks like you’ll have to suffer through the struggles with the rest of the front office.
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 1
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 2
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 25
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)