Jan 28, 2012, 5:36 PM EDT
We all know how bad things have been for the Buffalo Sabres this season. They’re sitting last in the Eastern Conference, they’re getting their only solid production out of Jason Pominville and Thomas Vanek, and the fans are ready to revolt.
John Vogl of the Buffalo News hears from Sabres team president Ted Black about how even if the Sabres were made up of legends in their worst years they’d still struggle.
“It’s a tough year,” Black said. “Guys are just on pace to have career-low years in key categories such as goals. If you had a team that had Lemieux, Gretzky, Orr and Howe, and imported their worst statistical years, you’d probably have a team that wasn’t going to make the playoffs. There’s no slight to those great players, the fact is every player has a career-best year, and every player has a career-worst year.
“Unfortunately, we’ve got a lot of guys that are on track to have their worst year on the same team in the same year.”
Rack up what Ryan Miller, Derek Roy, Drew Stafford, Brad Boyes, and just about anyone else on the Sabres roster is doing and Black has a point. If you think that either Darcy Regier or Lindy Ruff will pay for these struggles with their jobs, Black says that won’t be the case.
Sorry bloodthirsty Sabres fans, it looks like you’ll have to suffer through the struggles with the rest of the front office.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)