Jan 28, 2012, 5:36 PM EDT
We all know how bad things have been for the Buffalo Sabres this season. They’re sitting last in the Eastern Conference, they’re getting their only solid production out of Jason Pominville and Thomas Vanek, and the fans are ready to revolt.
John Vogl of the Buffalo News hears from Sabres team president Ted Black about how even if the Sabres were made up of legends in their worst years they’d still struggle.
“It’s a tough year,” Black said. “Guys are just on pace to have career-low years in key categories such as goals. If you had a team that had Lemieux, Gretzky, Orr and Howe, and imported their worst statistical years, you’d probably have a team that wasn’t going to make the playoffs. There’s no slight to those great players, the fact is every player has a career-best year, and every player has a career-worst year.
“Unfortunately, we’ve got a lot of guys that are on track to have their worst year on the same team in the same year.”
Rack up what Ryan Miller, Derek Roy, Drew Stafford, Brad Boyes, and just about anyone else on the Sabres roster is doing and Black has a point. If you think that either Darcy Regier or Lindy Ruff will pay for these struggles with their jobs, Black says that won’t be the case.
Sorry bloodthirsty Sabres fans, it looks like you’ll have to suffer through the struggles with the rest of the front office.
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 4
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 5
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 59
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)