Jan 28, 2012, 6:44 PM EDT
The Sidney Crosby injury saga in Pittsburgh is taking another fascinating turn.
According to Sportsnet 590′s Bob McCown, Crosby was concerned with the medical treatment he’s gotten from the Penguins staff and met with a specialist in Utah where it was discovered he has an abnormality in two of his vertebrae (C1 and C2 in the neck) on top of the concussion suffered in December. McCown says that doctors expect Crosby to heal fine and be ready for the playoffs.
CBC’s Elliotte Friedman confirmed the story with Crosby’s agent Pat Brisson who says the possibility he has two fractured vertebrae was raised last week and he’ll be meeting with a third doctor to determine the diagnosis.
If this report turns out to be true and Crosby does indeed have two fractured vertebrae, the questions surrounding the Penguins’ handling of Crosby’s injuries will only grow larger and more pointed. With how methodical they’ve been in handling Crosby’s concussion since seemingly mistreating him last season, missing out on a neck injury would be a glaring error.
Crosby just returned from California where he was meeting a neurological spine specialist and has already begun skating. Penguins GM Ray Shero sounded optimistic about Crosby’s progress earlier today, but with this latest revelation there will be a lot more questions in need of answers.
Here’s video of McCown’s appearance on Sportsnet discussing what he’s found out.
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 1
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 0
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 15
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 6
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 37
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 90
- Torres won’t appeal suspension, Sharks call punishment ‘grossly unfair’ 10
- Flyers owner Snider: ‘I didn’t pick Bryz’ 60
- Sens’ MacLean, Ducks’ Boudreau, Hawks’ Quenneville are Jack Adams finalists 23
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (90)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)