Jan 28, 2012, 6:44 PM EST
The Sidney Crosby injury saga in Pittsburgh is taking another fascinating turn.
According to Sportsnet 590’s Bob McCown, Crosby was concerned with the medical treatment he’s gotten from the Penguins staff and met with a specialist in Utah where it was discovered he has an abnormality in two of his vertebrae (C1 and C2 in the neck) on top of the concussion suffered in December. McCown says that doctors expect Crosby to heal fine and be ready for the playoffs.
CBC’s Elliotte Friedman confirmed the story with Crosby’s agent Pat Brisson who says the possibility he has two fractured vertebrae was raised last week and he’ll be meeting with a third doctor to determine the diagnosis.
If this report turns out to be true and Crosby does indeed have two fractured vertebrae, the questions surrounding the Penguins’ handling of Crosby’s injuries will only grow larger and more pointed. With how methodical they’ve been in handling Crosby’s concussion since seemingly mistreating him last season, missing out on a neck injury would be a glaring error.
Crosby just returned from California where he was meeting a neurological spine specialist and has already begun skating. Penguins GM Ray Shero sounded optimistic about Crosby’s progress earlier today, but with this latest revelation there will be a lot more questions in need of answers.
Here’s video of McCown’s appearance on Sportsnet discussing what he’s found out.
- BREAKING: Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM 0
- Mike Richards clears waivers 19
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 13
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 53
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)