Jan 28, 2012, 6:44 PM EDT
The Sidney Crosby injury saga in Pittsburgh is taking another fascinating turn.
According to Sportsnet 590’s Bob McCown, Crosby was concerned with the medical treatment he’s gotten from the Penguins staff and met with a specialist in Utah where it was discovered he has an abnormality in two of his vertebrae (C1 and C2 in the neck) on top of the concussion suffered in December. McCown says that doctors expect Crosby to heal fine and be ready for the playoffs.
CBC’s Elliotte Friedman confirmed the story with Crosby’s agent Pat Brisson who says the possibility he has two fractured vertebrae was raised last week and he’ll be meeting with a third doctor to determine the diagnosis.
If this report turns out to be true and Crosby does indeed have two fractured vertebrae, the questions surrounding the Penguins’ handling of Crosby’s injuries will only grow larger and more pointed. With how methodical they’ve been in handling Crosby’s concussion since seemingly mistreating him last season, missing out on a neck injury would be a glaring error.
Crosby just returned from California where he was meeting a neurological spine specialist and has already begun skating. Penguins GM Ray Shero sounded optimistic about Crosby’s progress earlier today, but with this latest revelation there will be a lot more questions in need of answers.
Here’s video of McCown’s appearance on Sportsnet discussing what he’s found out.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 3
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 16
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 18
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 16
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 50
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 57
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (66)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)