Jan 28, 2012, 6:44 PM EST
The Sidney Crosby injury saga in Pittsburgh is taking another fascinating turn.
According to Sportsnet 590’s Bob McCown, Crosby was concerned with the medical treatment he’s gotten from the Penguins staff and met with a specialist in Utah where it was discovered he has an abnormality in two of his vertebrae (C1 and C2 in the neck) on top of the concussion suffered in December. McCown says that doctors expect Crosby to heal fine and be ready for the playoffs.
CBC’s Elliotte Friedman confirmed the story with Crosby’s agent Pat Brisson who says the possibility he has two fractured vertebrae was raised last week and he’ll be meeting with a third doctor to determine the diagnosis.
If this report turns out to be true and Crosby does indeed have two fractured vertebrae, the questions surrounding the Penguins’ handling of Crosby’s injuries will only grow larger and more pointed. With how methodical they’ve been in handling Crosby’s concussion since seemingly mistreating him last season, missing out on a neck injury would be a glaring error.
Crosby just returned from California where he was meeting a neurological spine specialist and has already begun skating. Penguins GM Ray Shero sounded optimistic about Crosby’s progress earlier today, but with this latest revelation there will be a lot more questions in need of answers.
Here’s video of McCown’s appearance on Sportsnet discussing what he’s found out.
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 6
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 20
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 15
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 42
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 5
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 14
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 15
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)