Jan 28, 2012, 7:51 PM EDT
The 2012 NHL All-Star Skills Competition opened with one of the most exciting events — the fastest skater competition — and it proved to be a coming out party for Rangers rookie Carl Hagelin.
The contest consisted of five races, (two players skating at one time) plus one final race featuring the fastest skater from each team. In the end, it was Hagelin defeating fellow rookie Colin Greening (Ottawa) in impressive fashion.
Carl Hagelin (Team Alfredsson) def. Colin Greening (Team Chara)
Hagelin and Greening had the two fastest individual times (Hagelin 12.963, Greening 12.993) — both advance to final.
Final RoundThis video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Hagelin won the final with a time of 13.218.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)