Jan 28, 2012, 7:51 PM EST
The 2012 NHL All-Star Skills Competition opened with one of the most exciting events — the fastest skater competition — and it proved to be a coming out party for Rangers rookie Carl Hagelin.
The contest consisted of five races, (two players skating at one time) plus one final race featuring the fastest skater from each team. In the end, it was Hagelin defeating fellow rookie Colin Greening (Ottawa) in impressive fashion.
Carl Hagelin (Team Alfredsson) def. Colin Greening (Team Chara)
Hagelin and Greening had the two fastest individual times (Hagelin 12.963, Greening 12.993) — both advance to final.
Final RoundThis video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Hagelin won the final with a time of 13.218.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 17
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (63)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)