Jan 28, 2012, 7:51 PM EST
The 2012 NHL All-Star Skills Competition opened with one of the most exciting events — the fastest skater competition — and it proved to be a coming out party for Rangers rookie Carl Hagelin.
The contest consisted of five races, (two players skating at one time) plus one final race featuring the fastest skater from each team. In the end, it was Hagelin defeating fellow rookie Colin Greening (Ottawa) in impressive fashion.
Carl Hagelin (Team Alfredsson) def. Colin Greening (Team Chara)
Hagelin and Greening had the two fastest individual times (Hagelin 12.963, Greening 12.993) — both advance to final.
Final RoundThis video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Hagelin won the final with a time of 13.218.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 29
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 24
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 42
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)