Jan 28, 2012, 9:20 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins have issued a statement in the wake of today’s report that captain Sidney Crosby has two injured vertebrae in his neck.
The diagnosis of Dr. Robert S. Bray, a neurological spine specialist based in Los Angeles, is that Sidney Crosby had suffered a neck injury in addition to a concussion. Dr. Bray reports that the neck injury is fully healed.
The most important goal all along has been Sidney’s return to full health, and we are encouraged that progress continues to be made.
The Penguins also stated that Bray’s findings would be evaluated by independent specialists. General manager Ray Shero didn’t offer a follow-up statement to the one posted above, but did say earlier in the day Crosby had returned from California and was “optimistic” No. 87 will play again this season.
As for Bray — he’s a renowned neurological spine specialist and the founder of the DISC Sports and Spine center, the official sports and spine center of the L.A. Kings. His personal website includes testimonials from 2008 U.S. Olympic team members Sarah Haskins (triathlon) and Melanie Roach (weightlifting) — he also worked with the American contingent that went to Vancouver for the 2010 Winter Games.
Crosby hasn’t played since loss to Boston on Dec. 5, after which he began experiencing concussion-like symptoms. He’s been cleared for light exercise and has resumed some of his on-ice workouts.
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 0
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 0
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 29
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)