Jan 28, 2012, 9:20 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins have issued a statement in the wake of today’s report that captain Sidney Crosby has two injured vertebrae in his neck.
The diagnosis of Dr. Robert S. Bray, a neurological spine specialist based in Los Angeles, is that Sidney Crosby had suffered a neck injury in addition to a concussion. Dr. Bray reports that the neck injury is fully healed.
The most important goal all along has been Sidney’s return to full health, and we are encouraged that progress continues to be made.
The Penguins also stated that Bray’s findings would be evaluated by independent specialists. General manager Ray Shero didn’t offer a follow-up statement to the one posted above, but did say earlier in the day Crosby had returned from California and was “optimistic” No. 87 will play again this season.
As for Bray — he’s a renowned neurological spine specialist and the founder of the DISC Sports and Spine center, the official sports and spine center of the L.A. Kings. His personal website includes testimonials from 2008 U.S. Olympic team members Sarah Haskins (triathlon) and Melanie Roach (weightlifting) — he also worked with the American contingent that went to Vancouver for the 2010 Winter Games.
Crosby hasn’t played since loss to Boston on Dec. 5, after which he began experiencing concussion-like symptoms. He’s been cleared for light exercise and has resumed some of his on-ice workouts.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)