Jan 28, 2012, 9:20 PM EST
The Pittsburgh Penguins have issued a statement in the wake of today’s report that captain Sidney Crosby has two injured vertebrae in his neck.
The diagnosis of Dr. Robert S. Bray, a neurological spine specialist based in Los Angeles, is that Sidney Crosby had suffered a neck injury in addition to a concussion. Dr. Bray reports that the neck injury is fully healed.
The most important goal all along has been Sidney’s return to full health, and we are encouraged that progress continues to be made.
The Penguins also stated that Bray’s findings would be evaluated by independent specialists. General manager Ray Shero didn’t offer a follow-up statement to the one posted above, but did say earlier in the day Crosby had returned from California and was “optimistic” No. 87 will play again this season.
As for Bray — he’s a renowned neurological spine specialist and the founder of the DISC Sports and Spine center, the official sports and spine center of the L.A. Kings. His personal website includes testimonials from 2008 U.S. Olympic team members Sarah Haskins (triathlon) and Melanie Roach (weightlifting) — he also worked with the American contingent that went to Vancouver for the 2010 Winter Games.
Crosby hasn’t played since loss to Boston on Dec. 5, after which he began experiencing concussion-like symptoms. He’s been cleared for light exercise and has resumed some of his on-ice workouts.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)