Jan 28, 2012, 3:49 PM EDT
Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs was asked about what his thoughts were on Thomas’ snub of President Barack Obama and Jacobs erred on the side of the Bill Of Rights rather than get grumpy with his team’s goalie.
Joe Haggerty of CSNNE.com gets the word on how Jacobs doesn’t fall in line with Thomas’ politics but is happy he’s allowed to speak his mind.
“Tim is a great hockey player. He’s done his job very well for us and I’m totally behind him as a great hockey player,” said Jacobs. “I don’t necessarily agree with his political view, but that isn’t what he does for me. I’ve got to say this: while I don’t agree with it he certainly has the right to express himself as every American does. He does a good job.”
If you’ve been hearing things about how Thomas’ take on things would lead to him getting shipped out of town, Jacobs’ words don’t sound like those of a guy eager to rid his team of a distraction. Considering that Thomas is still one of the best goalies in the league and looking to bring the Bruins another Stanley Cup, running him out of town on a rail because you don’t like his politics seems a bit rash.
As it goes for any job in life, if the boss has your back you’re in good shape.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)