Jan 28, 2012, 3:49 PM EST
Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs was asked about what his thoughts were on Thomas’ snub of President Barack Obama and Jacobs erred on the side of the Bill Of Rights rather than get grumpy with his team’s goalie.
Joe Haggerty of CSNNE.com gets the word on how Jacobs doesn’t fall in line with Thomas’ politics but is happy he’s allowed to speak his mind.
“Tim is a great hockey player. He’s done his job very well for us and I’m totally behind him as a great hockey player,” said Jacobs. “I don’t necessarily agree with his political view, but that isn’t what he does for me. I’ve got to say this: while I don’t agree with it he certainly has the right to express himself as every American does. He does a good job.”
If you’ve been hearing things about how Thomas’ take on things would lead to him getting shipped out of town, Jacobs’ words don’t sound like those of a guy eager to rid his team of a distraction. Considering that Thomas is still one of the best goalies in the league and looking to bring the Bruins another Stanley Cup, running him out of town on a rail because you don’t like his politics seems a bit rash.
As it goes for any job in life, if the boss has your back you’re in good shape.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)