Jan 28, 2012, 3:49 PM EDT
Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs was asked about what his thoughts were on Thomas’ snub of President Barack Obama and Jacobs erred on the side of the Bill Of Rights rather than get grumpy with his team’s goalie.
Joe Haggerty of CSNNE.com gets the word on how Jacobs doesn’t fall in line with Thomas’ politics but is happy he’s allowed to speak his mind.
“Tim is a great hockey player. He’s done his job very well for us and I’m totally behind him as a great hockey player,” said Jacobs. “I don’t necessarily agree with his political view, but that isn’t what he does for me. I’ve got to say this: while I don’t agree with it he certainly has the right to express himself as every American does. He does a good job.”
If you’ve been hearing things about how Thomas’ take on things would lead to him getting shipped out of town, Jacobs’ words don’t sound like those of a guy eager to rid his team of a distraction. Considering that Thomas is still one of the best goalies in the league and looking to bring the Bruins another Stanley Cup, running him out of town on a rail because you don’t like his politics seems a bit rash.
As it goes for any job in life, if the boss has your back you’re in good shape.
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 11
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 13
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 24
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 27
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 39
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)