Jan 28, 2012, 3:49 PM EDT
Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs was asked about what his thoughts were on Thomas’ snub of President Barack Obama and Jacobs erred on the side of the Bill Of Rights rather than get grumpy with his team’s goalie.
Joe Haggerty of CSNNE.com gets the word on how Jacobs doesn’t fall in line with Thomas’ politics but is happy he’s allowed to speak his mind.
“Tim is a great hockey player. He’s done his job very well for us and I’m totally behind him as a great hockey player,” said Jacobs. “I don’t necessarily agree with his political view, but that isn’t what he does for me. I’ve got to say this: while I don’t agree with it he certainly has the right to express himself as every American does. He does a good job.”
If you’ve been hearing things about how Thomas’ take on things would lead to him getting shipped out of town, Jacobs’ words don’t sound like those of a guy eager to rid his team of a distraction. Considering that Thomas is still one of the best goalies in the league and looking to bring the Bruins another Stanley Cup, running him out of town on a rail because you don’t like his politics seems a bit rash.
As it goes for any job in life, if the boss has your back you’re in good shape.
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 0
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 13
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 30
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 3
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 14
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)