Jan 27, 2012, 7:01 PM EDT
Veteran Flyers defenseman Kimmo Timonen didn’t outright say Alex Ovechkin should be at the All-Star Game in Ottawa instead of sunning himself on the beach in Florida, but…well, you decide what Timonen really thought about Ovechkin’s decision to skip the festivities after getting suspended by the NHL.
“I always think this is kind of your personal choice, but for the fans, I don’t think it’s right. Still, the fans are the ones who pay our salary and that kind of stuff,” Timonen said, as reported by the Washington Times. “They wanted to see him; he’s one of the best players in the world. At the same time, it’s been a long season for him and maybe he’s got tiny injury or something. But as a fan, I wanted to see him here.”
The Times reports that most players “side-stepped questions about Ovechkin, essentially saying it wasn’t their call” – a predictable response given players don’t like to criticize other players in these sorts of situations. One day it could be them wanting to opt out of something. Plus there’s the whole union solidarity thing. After all, this is a league event, and it’s the league that suspended Ovechkin.
Regardless, Timonen’s right about the fans. They’re the ones who end up getting shortchanged. Even if James Neal is more deserving of the honor — and he probably is based on this one season — is there anyone who shelled out big bucks for tickets to the skills competition or game that’s happy they get to see Neal instead of Ovechkin?
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)