Jan 27, 2012, 5:28 PM EDT
Let’s look at how this went from internet fodder to The Province newspaper’s hockey microsite, shall we?
— TVA Sports, a Canadian French-language channel, has a program called “Le Match.”
— Le Match is a hockey/sports talk show featuring a bunch of ex-NHLers, including Georges Laraque, Patrice Brisebois, Enrico Ciccone and Dave Morrissette.
— According to a Hockey’s Future message board post, a recent episode of Le Match saw Brisebois and Ciccone claim a trade was in the works, sending Perry to Vancouver for Schneider, Raymond and Ballard.
— According to the same Hockey’s Future post, Brisebois said Perry recently told some Canucks players he would be “joining them soon.”
— Botchford posted a very skeptical review of the rumor on the White Towel blog.
And here are a couple of more notes to stoke the fire:
1) Brisebois is a former client of power agent Don Meehan — the same Don Meehan that currently represents Corey Perry.
Another Meehan client? Brendan Mikkelson, WHO WAS RECENTLY TRADED. This is definitely not a coincidence.
2) Ciccone’s familiar with Ducks GM Bob Murray, who once traded for Ciccione while serving as assistant GM in Chicago. And guess who Ciccone’s assistant coaches were in Chicago?
That’s right — current Vancouver assistant Newell Brown and director of player personnel Lorne Henning! At the risk of recklessly speculating, Henning is totally the mole.
In closing, I’d like to say that while this deal feels totally lopsided and nearly impossible to comprehend, trade deadline hysteria is still awesome.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 27
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 38
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)