Jan 27, 2012, 5:28 PM EDT
Let’s look at how this went from internet fodder to The Province newspaper’s hockey microsite, shall we?
— TVA Sports, a Canadian French-language channel, has a program called “Le Match.”
— Le Match is a hockey/sports talk show featuring a bunch of ex-NHLers, including Georges Laraque, Patrice Brisebois, Enrico Ciccone and Dave Morrissette.
— According to a Hockey’s Future message board post, a recent episode of Le Match saw Brisebois and Ciccone claim a trade was in the works, sending Perry to Vancouver for Schneider, Raymond and Ballard.
— According to the same Hockey’s Future post, Brisebois said Perry recently told some Canucks players he would be “joining them soon.”
— Botchford posted a very skeptical review of the rumor on the White Towel blog.
And here are a couple of more notes to stoke the fire:
1) Brisebois is a former client of power agent Don Meehan — the same Don Meehan that currently represents Corey Perry.
Another Meehan client? Brendan Mikkelson, WHO WAS RECENTLY TRADED. This is definitely not a coincidence.
2) Ciccone’s familiar with Ducks GM Bob Murray, who once traded for Ciccione while serving as assistant GM in Chicago. And guess who Ciccone’s assistant coaches were in Chicago?
That’s right — current Vancouver assistant Newell Brown and director of player personnel Lorne Henning! At the risk of recklessly speculating, Henning is totally the mole.
In closing, I’d like to say that while this deal feels totally lopsided and nearly impossible to comprehend, trade deadline hysteria is still awesome.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 25
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)