Jan 27, 2012, 5:28 PM EDT
Let’s look at how this went from internet fodder to The Province newspaper’s hockey microsite, shall we?
– TVA Sports, a Canadian French-language channel, has a program called “Le Match.”
– Le Match is a hockey/sports talk show featuring a bunch of ex-NHLers, including Georges Laraque, Patrice Brisebois, Enrico Ciccone and Dave Morrissette.
– According to a Hockey’s Future message board post, a recent episode of Le Match saw Brisebois and Ciccone claim a trade was in the works, sending Perry to Vancouver for Schneider, Raymond and Ballard.
– According to the same Hockey’s Future post, Brisebois said Perry recently told some Canucks players he would be “joining them soon.”
– Botchford posted a very skeptical review of the rumor on the White Towel blog.
And here are a couple of more notes to stoke the fire:
1) Brisebois is a former client of power agent Don Meehan — the same Don Meehan that currently represents Corey Perry.
Another Meehan client? Brendan Mikkelson, WHO WAS RECENTLY TRADED. This is definitely not a coincidence.
2) Ciccone’s familiar with Ducks GM Bob Murray, who once traded for Ciccione while serving as assistant GM in Chicago. And guess who Ciccone’s assistant coaches were in Chicago?
That’s right — current Vancouver assistant Newell Brown and director of player personnel Lorne Henning! At the risk of recklessly speculating, Henning is totally the mole.
In closing, I’d like to say that while this deal feels totally lopsided and nearly impossible to comprehend, trade deadline hysteria is still awesome.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 13
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 46
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 34
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)