Jan 27, 2012, 5:28 PM EDT
Let’s look at how this went from internet fodder to The Province newspaper’s hockey microsite, shall we?
— TVA Sports, a Canadian French-language channel, has a program called “Le Match.”
— Le Match is a hockey/sports talk show featuring a bunch of ex-NHLers, including Georges Laraque, Patrice Brisebois, Enrico Ciccone and Dave Morrissette.
— According to a Hockey’s Future message board post, a recent episode of Le Match saw Brisebois and Ciccone claim a trade was in the works, sending Perry to Vancouver for Schneider, Raymond and Ballard.
— According to the same Hockey’s Future post, Brisebois said Perry recently told some Canucks players he would be “joining them soon.”
— Botchford posted a very skeptical review of the rumor on the White Towel blog.
And here are a couple of more notes to stoke the fire:
1) Brisebois is a former client of power agent Don Meehan — the same Don Meehan that currently represents Corey Perry.
Another Meehan client? Brendan Mikkelson, WHO WAS RECENTLY TRADED. This is definitely not a coincidence.
2) Ciccone’s familiar with Ducks GM Bob Murray, who once traded for Ciccione while serving as assistant GM in Chicago. And guess who Ciccone’s assistant coaches were in Chicago?
That’s right — current Vancouver assistant Newell Brown and director of player personnel Lorne Henning! At the risk of recklessly speculating, Henning is totally the mole.
In closing, I’d like to say that while this deal feels totally lopsided and nearly impossible to comprehend, trade deadline hysteria is still awesome.
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 2
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 6
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 15
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 24
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)