Jan 27, 2012, 5:28 PM EDT
Let’s look at how this went from internet fodder to The Province newspaper’s hockey microsite, shall we?
— TVA Sports, a Canadian French-language channel, has a program called “Le Match.”
— Le Match is a hockey/sports talk show featuring a bunch of ex-NHLers, including Georges Laraque, Patrice Brisebois, Enrico Ciccone and Dave Morrissette.
— According to a Hockey’s Future message board post, a recent episode of Le Match saw Brisebois and Ciccone claim a trade was in the works, sending Perry to Vancouver for Schneider, Raymond and Ballard.
— According to the same Hockey’s Future post, Brisebois said Perry recently told some Canucks players he would be “joining them soon.”
— Botchford posted a very skeptical review of the rumor on the White Towel blog.
And here are a couple of more notes to stoke the fire:
1) Brisebois is a former client of power agent Don Meehan — the same Don Meehan that currently represents Corey Perry.
Another Meehan client? Brendan Mikkelson, WHO WAS RECENTLY TRADED. This is definitely not a coincidence.
2) Ciccone’s familiar with Ducks GM Bob Murray, who once traded for Ciccione while serving as assistant GM in Chicago. And guess who Ciccone’s assistant coaches were in Chicago?
That’s right — current Vancouver assistant Newell Brown and director of player personnel Lorne Henning! At the risk of recklessly speculating, Henning is totally the mole.
In closing, I’d like to say that while this deal feels totally lopsided and nearly impossible to comprehend, trade deadline hysteria is still awesome.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)