Jan 27, 2012, 4:28 PM EDT
In Some Stats, we look at some stats.
29 – Points for Canucks rookie Cody Hodgson. The 10th overall pick in the 2008 draft has taken longer than expected to become an NHL regular, but we’re starting to see why he was such a highly touted prospect coming out of junior. Hodgson is just six points back of rookie scoring leader Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, and he’s done it playing just 12:42 per game. In fact, among the top 20 rookie scorers, only Buffalo’s Luke Adam (20 points) plays less per game (12:33) than Hodgson. Nugent-Hopkins averages 17:19 per game and spends significantly more time than Hodgson on the power play. (Note: RNH total ice time 658:23; Hodgson: 622:57.)
2 – Teams with a goals-against average below 2.00 – St. Louis (1.96) and NY Rangers (1.98). If any of you resourceful readers can find out the last time two teams finished like that, please do share in the comments section. It hasn’t happened in a while; that’s all I know. I asked my Twitter followers if they knew the last team to do it, and according to @natevk (shockingly, a history major), it was the 1955-56 Montreal Canadiens (Jacques Plante between the pipes).
First and last – Montreal’s penalty killing (89.4%) and power play (12.6%), respectively.
68 – Takeaways by Jonathan Toews, the league leader in the category. The Blackhawks’ captain finished second to Joe Thornton in takeaways last season, so this isn’t a huge surprise. However, it’s worth noting that Jumbo Joe was (and still is) right up there among league leaders in giveaways while Toews had (and has) very few of those.
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 0
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 2
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 24
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 2
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 8
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)