Jan 27, 2012, 4:28 PM EST
In Some Stats, we look at some stats.
29 – Points for Canucks rookie Cody Hodgson. The 10th overall pick in the 2008 draft has taken longer than expected to become an NHL regular, but we’re starting to see why he was such a highly touted prospect coming out of junior. Hodgson is just six points back of rookie scoring leader Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, and he’s done it playing just 12:42 per game. In fact, among the top 20 rookie scorers, only Buffalo’s Luke Adam (20 points) plays less per game (12:33) than Hodgson. Nugent-Hopkins averages 17:19 per game and spends significantly more time than Hodgson on the power play. (Note: RNH total ice time 658:23; Hodgson: 622:57.)
2 – Teams with a goals-against average below 2.00 – St. Louis (1.96) and NY Rangers (1.98). If any of you resourceful readers can find out the last time two teams finished like that, please do share in the comments section. It hasn’t happened in a while; that’s all I know. I asked my Twitter followers if they knew the last team to do it, and according to @natevk (shockingly, a history major), it was the 1955-56 Montreal Canadiens (Jacques Plante between the pipes).
First and last – Montreal’s penalty killing (89.4%) and power play (12.6%), respectively.
68 – Takeaways by Jonathan Toews, the league leader in the category. The Blackhawks’ captain finished second to Joe Thornton in takeaways last season, so this isn’t a huge surprise. However, it’s worth noting that Jumbo Joe was (and still is) right up there among league leaders in giveaways while Toews had (and has) very few of those.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 27
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 35
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 15
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 77
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)