Jan 27, 2012, 4:28 PM EDT
In Some Stats, we look at some stats.
29 – Points for Canucks rookie Cody Hodgson. The 10th overall pick in the 2008 draft has taken longer than expected to become an NHL regular, but we’re starting to see why he was such a highly touted prospect coming out of junior. Hodgson is just six points back of rookie scoring leader Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, and he’s done it playing just 12:42 per game. In fact, among the top 20 rookie scorers, only Buffalo’s Luke Adam (20 points) plays less per game (12:33) than Hodgson. Nugent-Hopkins averages 17:19 per game and spends significantly more time than Hodgson on the power play. (Note: RNH total ice time 658:23; Hodgson: 622:57.)
2 – Teams with a goals-against average below 2.00 – St. Louis (1.96) and NY Rangers (1.98). If any of you resourceful readers can find out the last time two teams finished like that, please do share in the comments section. It hasn’t happened in a while; that’s all I know. I asked my Twitter followers if they knew the last team to do it, and according to @natevk (shockingly, a history major), it was the 1955-56 Montreal Canadiens (Jacques Plante between the pipes).
First and last – Montreal’s penalty killing (89.4%) and power play (12.6%), respectively.
68 – Takeaways by Jonathan Toews, the league leader in the category. The Blackhawks’ captain finished second to Joe Thornton in takeaways last season, so this isn’t a huge surprise. However, it’s worth noting that Jumbo Joe was (and still is) right up there among league leaders in giveaways while Toews had (and has) very few of those.
- Subban, Habs can’t agree to terms before arbitration hearing 16
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 19
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 63
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)