Jan 27, 2012, 4:28 PM EST
In Some Stats, we look at some stats.
29 – Points for Canucks rookie Cody Hodgson. The 10th overall pick in the 2008 draft has taken longer than expected to become an NHL regular, but we’re starting to see why he was such a highly touted prospect coming out of junior. Hodgson is just six points back of rookie scoring leader Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, and he’s done it playing just 12:42 per game. In fact, among the top 20 rookie scorers, only Buffalo’s Luke Adam (20 points) plays less per game (12:33) than Hodgson. Nugent-Hopkins averages 17:19 per game and spends significantly more time than Hodgson on the power play. (Note: RNH total ice time 658:23; Hodgson: 622:57.)
2 – Teams with a goals-against average below 2.00 – St. Louis (1.96) and NY Rangers (1.98). If any of you resourceful readers can find out the last time two teams finished like that, please do share in the comments section. It hasn’t happened in a while; that’s all I know. I asked my Twitter followers if they knew the last team to do it, and according to @natevk (shockingly, a history major), it was the 1955-56 Montreal Canadiens (Jacques Plante between the pipes).
First and last – Montreal’s penalty killing (89.4%) and power play (12.6%), respectively.
68 – Takeaways by Jonathan Toews, the league leader in the category. The Blackhawks’ captain finished second to Joe Thornton in takeaways last season, so this isn’t a huge surprise. However, it’s worth noting that Jumbo Joe was (and still is) right up there among league leaders in giveaways while Toews had (and has) very few of those.
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 12
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 29
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 30
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 6
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)