Jan 27, 2012, 4:28 PM EST
In Some Stats, we look at some stats.
29 – Points for Canucks rookie Cody Hodgson. The 10th overall pick in the 2008 draft has taken longer than expected to become an NHL regular, but we’re starting to see why he was such a highly touted prospect coming out of junior. Hodgson is just six points back of rookie scoring leader Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, and he’s done it playing just 12:42 per game. In fact, among the top 20 rookie scorers, only Buffalo’s Luke Adam (20 points) plays less per game (12:33) than Hodgson. Nugent-Hopkins averages 17:19 per game and spends significantly more time than Hodgson on the power play. (Note: RNH total ice time 658:23; Hodgson: 622:57.)
2 – Teams with a goals-against average below 2.00 – St. Louis (1.96) and NY Rangers (1.98). If any of you resourceful readers can find out the last time two teams finished like that, please do share in the comments section. It hasn’t happened in a while; that’s all I know. I asked my Twitter followers if they knew the last team to do it, and according to @natevk (shockingly, a history major), it was the 1955-56 Montreal Canadiens (Jacques Plante between the pipes).
First and last – Montreal’s penalty killing (89.4%) and power play (12.6%), respectively.
68 – Takeaways by Jonathan Toews, the league leader in the category. The Blackhawks’ captain finished second to Joe Thornton in takeaways last season, so this isn’t a huge surprise. However, it’s worth noting that Jumbo Joe was (and still is) right up there among league leaders in giveaways while Toews had (and has) very few of those.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)