Jan 27, 2012, 2:50 PM EDT
The 35-year-old Finnish netminder is just two wins away from 300 for his career and one appearance away from becoming Calgary’s all-time leader in games played by a goalie.
The 300-win plateau will be a special one. Only 26 netminders have won that many, four of them active (Martin Brodeur, Roberto Luongo, Nikolai Khabibulin and Evgeni Nabokov) — but Kiprusoff will become the first Finnish goalie to accomplish the feat.
[Quick note on the Finnish goalie record: The 2K generation has seen a wave of talented goalies from Finland -- Kipper, Niklas Backstrom, Pekka Rinne, Kari Lehtonen Antti Niemi, Tuukka Rask -- but prior to 2000, pickings were slim. For a long time, the record for most wins by a Finnish goalie was held by the immortal Kari Takko.]
The Flames record for appearances is also intriguing. Kiprusoff will soon break the mark (526 games) held by Mike Vernon. Once that happens, Kipper will be the franchise leader in games played, wins, shutouts and saves.
For some, that’s enough to anoint him as the greatest goalie in team history — but is that selling Vernon a tad short? Remember, Vernon backstopped the Flames not just to their first and only Stanley Cup in 1989…but also their first-ever Stanley Cup Finals (losing in 1986 to Montreal.)
Vernon also played 81 playoff games to Kiprusoff’s 52, recording 43 wins to Kiprusoff’s 24.
Feel free to debate the merits of both Vernon and Kiprusoff in the comments section.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)