Jan 27, 2012, 3:31 PM EST
While his recovery from a torn bicep is reportedly going well, recent words and actions from Brian Gionta suggest there’s still a long way to go.
The Montreal captain appeared at a function this week to hand out bursaries to 28 young hockey players, during which recipients were told Gionta couldn’t exert himself when it came to congratulatory handshakes.
That, along with Gionta’s comments afterward, confirms the injury has taken it’s toll.
“I’m there every day for treatment and I’m talking to the guys, but it’s hard not being out there,” he told the Montreal Gazette. “It’s been a tough season. We got off to a slow start and we’ve had some tough luck, but nobody in that room has given up.”
Tough season is an understatement. Gionta’s been limited to 38 games after suffering a lower-body injury early in the year; the torn bicep has kept him out of action since Jan. 10.
“It was a routine play along the boards and I just felt it pop. I tried to play another shift, but I knew I was hurt,” he said. “I’m hoping that I’m going to play again before the end of the season, but I don’t have a timetable.”
Gionta underwent surgery to repair the bicep on Jan. 11.
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 0
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 74
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 2
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 20
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 30
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 24
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (81)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)