Jan 27, 2012, 3:31 PM EDT
While his recovery from a torn bicep is reportedly going well, recent words and actions from Brian Gionta suggest there’s still a long way to go.
The Montreal captain appeared at a function this week to hand out bursaries to 28 young hockey players, during which recipients were told Gionta couldn’t exert himself when it came to congratulatory handshakes.
That, along with Gionta’s comments afterward, confirms the injury has taken it’s toll.
“I’m there every day for treatment and I’m talking to the guys, but it’s hard not being out there,” he told the Montreal Gazette. “It’s been a tough season. We got off to a slow start and we’ve had some tough luck, but nobody in that room has given up.”
Tough season is an understatement. Gionta’s been limited to 38 games after suffering a lower-body injury early in the year; the torn bicep has kept him out of action since Jan. 10.
“It was a routine play along the boards and I just felt it pop. I tried to play another shift, but I knew I was hurt,” he said. “I’m hoping that I’m going to play again before the end of the season, but I don’t have a timetable.”
Gionta underwent surgery to repair the bicep on Jan. 11.
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 5
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 28
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)