Jan 27, 2012, 3:31 PM EST
While his recovery from a torn bicep is reportedly going well, recent words and actions from Brian Gionta suggest there’s still a long way to go.
The Montreal captain appeared at a function this week to hand out bursaries to 28 young hockey players, during which recipients were told Gionta couldn’t exert himself when it came to congratulatory handshakes.
That, along with Gionta’s comments afterward, confirms the injury has taken it’s toll.
“I’m there every day for treatment and I’m talking to the guys, but it’s hard not being out there,” he told the Montreal Gazette. “It’s been a tough season. We got off to a slow start and we’ve had some tough luck, but nobody in that room has given up.”
Tough season is an understatement. Gionta’s been limited to 38 games after suffering a lower-body injury early in the year; the torn bicep has kept him out of action since Jan. 10.
“It was a routine play along the boards and I just felt it pop. I tried to play another shift, but I knew I was hurt,” he said. “I’m hoping that I’m going to play again before the end of the season, but I don’t have a timetable.”
Gionta underwent surgery to repair the bicep on Jan. 11.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)