Jan 27, 2012, 3:31 PM EDT
While his recovery from a torn bicep is reportedly going well, recent words and actions from Brian Gionta suggest there’s still a long way to go.
The Montreal captain appeared at a function this week to hand out bursaries to 28 young hockey players, during which recipients were told Gionta couldn’t exert himself when it came to congratulatory handshakes.
That, along with Gionta’s comments afterward, confirms the injury has taken it’s toll.
“I’m there every day for treatment and I’m talking to the guys, but it’s hard not being out there,” he told the Montreal Gazette. “It’s been a tough season. We got off to a slow start and we’ve had some tough luck, but nobody in that room has given up.”
Tough season is an understatement. Gionta’s been limited to 38 games after suffering a lower-body injury early in the year; the torn bicep has kept him out of action since Jan. 10.
“It was a routine play along the boards and I just felt it pop. I tried to play another shift, but I knew I was hurt,” he said. “I’m hoping that I’m going to play again before the end of the season, but I don’t have a timetable.”
Gionta underwent surgery to repair the bicep on Jan. 11.
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 22
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 12
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 40
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 46
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 26
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal