Jan 27, 2012, 10:41 AM EDT
Regarding Priest, he said: “I don’t know how he gets roped into the on-ice performance by some people because he doesn’t have anything to do with it.”
As for Howson: “As of right now, I know of no reason why he won’t be our (GM next season).”
That sound you’re hearing is every Jackets fans bashing their heads against the wall.
What McConnell did say is that changes are coming, though he wouldn’t get into specific details.
“We’re going to get to a point very quickly where it’s going to be obvious to people how extreme we’re getting,” he told the Dispatch.
So if the president isn’t getting fired and the GM isn’t getting fired, reading between the lines you can assume some big player moves are coming. Not sure what other “extreme” measures McConnell could be referring to, unless the whole team is going skateboarding.
“You can’t look at one thing,” McConnell said when asked what went wrong this season. “Goaltending is certainly No. 1 on the list.”
Of course, it was Howson who decided to roll the dice with Steve Mason when anyone who followed the Jackets knew that was a huge risk.
As we mentioned Wednesday on PHT, a number of the team’s fans are planning a protest Saturday outside Nationwide Arena to let the club know how they’re feeling.
What does the owner think of that?
“Certainly, we’re aware of it,” McConnell said. “We’ll see what comes of it Saturday. We’re certainly prepared to get out some hot liquids for them.”
Hmmm…like coffee or tea? Or like during medieval times when they poured boiling oil on armies that were attacking castles?
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 10
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 40
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 17
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 12
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 61
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 25
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 64
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1